Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Thread: Explorer 2/3wt Classic build

nice ... real nice

the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    thanks Mike

i only used CP on the feathers. i didn't put any on the thread wraps themselves. also, the CP was only used after the first thin coat of FCLite - this is because i didn't want the CP used on the feathers to have an effect on parts of the wraps underneath them

is there a better way?
    Not sure Dev...never done a feather inlay myself. The best reference I have is that PDF file I sent you by Terry Henson. But on that PDF file...it's a big rod, big feather.
    They used Permagloss, and it also soaks into the feather and the thread. I don't think normal finish will alter the colour of the feather anyway, CP is not needed. But it will alter the thread colour...but that's fine as you are going to coat the whole area with the same finish anyway. In fact, you could use Flex Coat for sticking the feather on, first coat, last coat, the lot I reckon.
    Test this next time...put finish on a feather, and see if it alters the colours. I don't think it will.

Also, Terry Henson says DO NOT use Colour Preserver for this job, unless you are going to coat the entire area (including the threads) with CP. (See last paragraph of the PDF file.

Once they lay the feather in the permagloss, they smooth it over with a little more permagloss to get it "down" properly. Once that is done and dry, they apply the finish in one coat...let it dry...use a blade to cut off any fuzzies or dust particles, and apply another coat of finish (no colour preserver finish for both these coats.)
    Last edited by Michael; 07-06-07 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    nice ... real nice
    TEASING - not my pic - I stole it
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

yeh, i read that article a few times before i started the inlay. as well as an article that i got from Grant. there seems to be quite a split of those who use CP and those that don't. i think what swayed me towards it was knowing that the colour in the feathers now will definitely not fade. i think if i were building a bigger rod i'd have used Terry's method of sticking down the feathers. .. maybe on my saltwater rod when i get there?

thanks for the advice
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    TEASING - not my pic - I stole it
    K@k thing to do..... I will have to send you to the coal mines for two week punishment for that, no pay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    K@k thing to do..... I will have to send you to the coal mines for two week punishment for that, no pay as well.
    Dev's a big boy, he can take a joke ...

Although my wife did mention something about a ticking parcel over the phone. Have not seen her since ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Good meeting up with you on Saturday, Dev, thought your 2/3 wt was excellent especially for your first rod. Feather inlay very impressive!

Cheers, Chris

thanks Chris

yeh, was great meeting up. doubt it'll be the last time!
    the patient mental...

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33