Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: #3 weight rods R2000

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    Nick I will gladly give you a hand to help with the casting practice. You know you just have to shout. I might even get some curry
    Give me a tinkle and we can go to the field or some water.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

    my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Hey Grant. Interesting leader post. How about some info on leader construction for various conditions. I for one would be very interested as it's something I battle with. G
    Hey G
    Check Tom Sutcliffe's website, there is some leader info there.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    5,292
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Nick I will gladly give you a hand to help with the casting practice. You know you just have to shout. I might even get some curry
    Give me a tinkle and we can go to the field or some water.
    Cheers
    Cheers as always Rols............man i need to deliver you a curry

    I think i sold myself a bit short RE the casting......my casting has come on l;eaps and bounds its just in the wind my rod does not have enough oomph for want of a better word, so i think the faster rod,good leader set up, i could iron out a few more niggles,i even manged a couple role cast last week
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.


    [T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I might have a solution that could save you R2000.00.

    I fish with a Medium rod and have found that changing my leader set up can drastically help casting into the wind.

    Build a leader with something like the following diamaters:
    90cm 0.37mm
    40cm 0.32mm
    20cm 0.30mm
    15cm 0.25mm
    10cm 0.22mm

    and then tie a loop in the end and attach your tippet, but not too long.

    What this does is it forces extra power into each piece where the diameter of the line gets thinner, and the shorter distance of each piece increases the power transfer from piece to piece. With very short pieces between drops like the example above the extra power helps punch into the wind, and all at the cost of a few different spools of Maxima.

    If you're looking to get a new rod though, then maybe look at the Echos from Philip or the Redingtons from Upstream (they had a special a week or two back - might still have some of that stock).
    Disclaimer: I have no idea if the above leader formula will work exactly as it is. It was just an example of a leader that would help in the wind. Might be a bit drastic.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Cheers as always Rols............man i need to deliver you a curry

    I think i sold myself a bit short RE the casting......my casting has come on l;eaps and bounds its just in the wind my rod does not have enough oomph for want of a better word, so i think the faster rod,good leader set up, i could iron out a few more niggles,i even manged a couple role cast last week
    Nick, your mates will help for sure, just focus and relax, maybe you are trying to hard for distance, happened to me. Just let it flow through the air, line to rod, rod to hand, easy going. Just practise, all will be well. Let us know how it goes.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Hey Grant. Interesting leader post. How about some info on leader construction for various conditions. I for one would be very interested as it's something I battle with. G
    Hi Garnet,

    Here you go

    Hope it helps and doesn't make it worse!

    Cheers
    G
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,138
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hi Garnet,

    Here you go

    Hope it helps and doesn't make it worse!

    Cheers
    G
    Shot. The only way is up.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Shot. The only way is up.
    From an email discussion I had with Tom Sutcliffe a few months back.

    On Double-Taper leaders:
    I cannot just accept a leader formula - I need to know WHY it works - thus I studied the art/science a number of years ago.

    Without going into too much math - line (leader) stiffness is directly proportional to the line diameter to the fourth power.

    I have an Excel file file I use to plot such things for correct comparison & to make sure that there are no "steps" in the stiffness chart = a leader that will not present properly. This is usually a result of too great a change in diameter from one section to the other and/or a section that is too short relative to the diameter and/or length of the sections on either side of it.


    My Long & short versions vary from Stanton's by:

    Butt = 0.25mm rather than 0.20mm While this may seem a relatively minor difference, with the maths (rel stiffness being directly proportional to diameter to the 4th power), this results in a butt section 66% stiffer)
    Thickest section = 0.32mm rather than 0.30mm. This results in a mid section 29% stiffer.
    Most of mine end in 6X rather than 5X

    I generally do not fish lighter than 3wt rods, but usually prefer my small stream leaders to end in 6X rather than the 5X of Stanton's. The "wider" stiffness profile (see graph) of my leaders result in better performance in the wind, even when using 6X tippets.

    Butt's also Maxima Ultragreen (boiled in lengths PRIOR to building the leader, as suggested by the French websites, rather than AFTER tying the leader)

    Tippet sections = Stroft GTM


    To plot your own leaders on the chart, just change the editable fields in the data worksheet & the chart will automatically update accordingly
    NOTE - dia in hundredths of mm & section lengths in mm.

    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GGY; 16-11-11 at 01:48 PM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,138
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Great stuff!!
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    From an email discussion I had with Tom Sutcliffe a few months back.

    On Double-Taper leaders:
    I cannot just accept a leader formula - I need to know WHY it works - thus I studied the art/science a number of years ago.

    Without going into too much math - line (leader) stiffness is directly proportional to the line diameter to the fourth power.

    I have an Excel file file I use to plot such things for correct comparison & to make sure that there are no "steps" in the stiffness chart = a leader that will not present properly. This is usually a result of too great a change in diameter from one section to the other and/or a section that is too short relative to the diameter and/or length of the sections on either side of it.


    My Long & short versions vary from Stanton's by:

    Butt = 0.25mm rather than 0.20mm While this may seem a relatively minor difference, with the maths (rel stiffness being directly proportional to diameter to the 4th power), this results in a butt section 66% stiffer)
    Thickest section = 0.32mm rather than 0.30mm. This results in a mid section 29% stiffer.
    Most of mine end in 6X rather than 5X

    I generally do not fish lighter than 3wt rods, but usually prefer my small stream leaders to end in 6X rather than the 5X of Stanton's. The "wider" stiffness profile (see graph) of my leaders result in better performance in the wind, even when using 6X tippets.

    Butt's also Maxima Ultragreen (boiled in lengths PRIOR to building the leader, as suggested by the French websites, rather than AFTER tying the leader)

    Tippet sections = Stroft GTM


    To plot your own leaders on the chart, just change the editable fields in the data worksheet & the chart will automatically update accordingly
    NOTE - dia in hundredths of mm & section lengths in mm.

    Hi Gary
    I end my leaders specifically with 5X so that I can add extra bits to it when I need it, but not necessarily have too. Especially in windy conditions etc. I now also have developed leaders ending in 6X so that I fish it as is as well as with 7X

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •