Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slimming down

1. Default Slimming down

Despite having to do this myself, I've been looking at slimming down all the flies I'm tying quite a lot. Overall, I tend to tie quite buggy flies, but I'm not so sure anymore. Getting to think that dubbing should be reserved for the thorax only (for a while at least). So ... what do you guys reckon would be things to use for abdomens??

Biots
    Wire
    Vinyl Rib
    Stretch skin
    Nympp skin
    Quill

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Despite having to do this myself, I've been looking at slimming down all the flies I'm tying quite a lot. Overall, I tend to tie quite buggy flies, but I'm not so sure anymore. Getting to think that dubbing should be reserved for the thorax only (for a while at least). So ... what do you guys reckon would be things to use for abdomens??

Biots
    Wire
    Vinyl Rib
    Stretch skin
    Nympp skin
    Quill

What I enjoy doing when tying mayfly nymphs, I build the abdomen, by wrapping thread around the shank until I get the right shape, then I wrap thin copper wire over the thread abdomen and finally coat it with super glue or varnish or what ever. It looks great...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    What I enjoy doing when tying mayfly nymphs, I build the abdomen, by wrapping thread around the shank until I get the right shape, then I wrap thin copper wire over the thread abdomen and finally coat it with super glue or varnish or what ever. It looks great...
    Soooooo ... wire????
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I enjoy using biots especially if you can get a nice two tone effect.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I do this on my size 18s, works really well. Also flashabou with wire ribbing over works great. Stripped peacock herl is great too.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by schloshd1 View Post
    Stripped peacock herl is great too.
    Thanks, forgot about this one!!! DOH!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Dont forget straight silk Oreo.
    It gives nice segmentation on smaller flies and is very quick and easy to taper as needed.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Dont forget straight silk Oreo.
    It gives nice segmentation on smaller flies and is very quick and easy to taper as needed.
    Thanks - nice sheen when wet as well, better than "normal" thread.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Thanks - nice sheen when wet as well, better than "normal" thread.
    Very nice indeed! And because of the slight translucence you get slight color variance too.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Very nice indeed! And because of the slight translucence you get slight color variance too.
    Jasper could be be a nice option as well .... hmmmm
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast