Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage ONE Versus...

Default Sage ONE Versus...

Now this one will cause some controversy.....

I see Yellowstone Angler has given their un-biased opinions on how the new Sage ONE stacks up to their other favourite rods in specific line weights. Very interesting (and another reason I will never sell my 5wt Z-Axis...hehe)

Anyway, all #^$^&@#% around aside....

See the article here: http://yellowstoneangler.com/SageOne...ewonflyrod.asp

These are their comments, when pitting the Sage ONE against their favourites:

- 8'5" 4 weight - They prefer the Winston BIIIx
    - 9' 4 weights - They prefer the Hardy Zenith
    - 9' 5wt (ONE vs The Z-Axis) - They prefer the Z-Axis
    - 9' 5wt (ONE vs the Hardy Zenith) - They prefer the Hardy Zenith
    - 9' 6 weight - They say the Sage ONE is the best.
    - 9' 7 weight - They say the Sage ONE is the best.
    - 9' 8 weight - They prefer the G. Loomis NRX
    - 9' 10 weight - They prefer the G. Loomis NRX

I suppose everyone will have their own opinions, but it does make a good read, and interesting to read their thoughts behind why they formed this opinion.

Wish I had all those rods to test
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Here's how they rate the Hardy Zenith, and the Sage Z-Axis...against the Sage ONE...in the popular 5 wt, 9 foot configuration...

(Personally though, I reckon you would STILL have to go cast them yourself, and based on YOUR OWN preferences, choose a rod that's right for you, if you are in the market for a new 5wt).

But, here are their thoughts...

9 foot 5-weights
    One -vs- Z-Axis

Overall weight: Sage ONE – 2.6 oz. Z-Axis – 3.4 oz.

For openers, we wanted to see how the 9 foot #5 ONE compared to the great Z-Axis, which has proven to be one of the finest rods in our 5-weight shootouts. At close range, the stiffer tip on the ONE seemed to hinder feel, compared to the Z-Axis, and the overall accuracy was not as good. At 60 feet I felt that the One did track better, giving me tighter loops and more control than the older Z-Axis. At longer distances, there was no question that the ONE had it in spades. But as an all around rod I still like the Z-Axis.

Advantage: Sage Z-Axis

ONE -vs- Hardy Zenith

Overall weight: Sage ONE – 2.6 oz. Hardy Zenith – 3.0 oz.

Next up, we pulled out our 2011 5-wight shootout winner, the Hardy Zenith. Although the ONE was lighter in overall weight, the Zenith felt a lot lighter in swing weight and had a much lighter, softer tip, giving far better feel and accuracy in close in that 30-45 foot range where we do so much of our fishing. We were casting in a pretty strong breeze that day, and what surprised us most was that the Hardy had a lot more pop and zing, especially firing back casts into a strong wind. At long range, both rods were excellent. The ONE gave us smooth and fairly tight loops, but we were just working a lot harder to get them than with the Hardy Zenith.

Advantage: Hardy Zenith

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Wish I had all those rods to test
    SO DO I!!

No wait, damn...no more rods. I need to sell some of mine!

Pretty cool to see them rate like for like rods (eg not like previous lists where there were ZXL in the same list as Z-AXIS).

I wonder why they did the 5wt comparisons seperately - would be interesting to know which of the Z-Axis and Zenith they prefer when comparing the two.
    "So heres my point. Dont go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thats dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    - 9' 7 weight - They say the Sage ONE is the best.
    NICE! Got prices yet?

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Pretty cool to see them rate like for like rods (eg not like previous lists where there were ZXL in the same list as Z-AXIS).

I wonder why they did the 5wt comparisons seperately - would be interesting to know which of the Z-Axis and Zenith they prefer when comparing the two.
    In the 5wt shootout they did a while ago, the Hardy Zenith beat the Z-Axis by a slight margin...so their overall 5wt favourite is the Hardy Zenith.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre s View Post
    NICE! Got prices yet?
    On the blanks? Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    In the 5wt shootout they did a while ago, the Hardy Zenith beat the Z-Axis by a slight margin...so their overall 5wt favourite is the Hardy Zenith.
    I must say that I have come to love the Hardy Zenith I bought from George Anderson. It took a while: the casting action and feel is quite different to the Sage XP I was familiar with, but I now rate it as significantly better. It is a really special rod indeed, although it is, frankly, butt ugly.

I have only cast the Z-Axis in a 6 weight, and I have yet to cast The One in any weight, so I am not comparing apples with apples.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre s View Post
    NICE! Got prices yet?
    Blanks for the One hover between $360 and $375 depending on model and where you buy.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast