Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiptop for sage vxp 8wt

Default Tiptop for sage vxp 8wt

Hi guys!

I recently completed my first rod build and I'm dying to put it to the test, but I need a tiptop... So I cant really say its completed, but I am pretty happy with how it turned out. The tiptop that was sent with the kit is to small to fit over the blank and as I have found it is really hard to get hold of the these in the right size in South-Africa. Does anyone know where I can find one of the right size? The size I am looking for is: Tube diameter- 1.6 , 1.8 , or 2.0mm (not exactly sure which one of the 3). Guide or loop diameter - 6.5 or 7 mm. Preferably big as it is a 8wt rod. Thanks a lot guys! Your help is much appreciated. Will post pics as soon as rod is 100% !

2. Default

What colour do you need. Most likely have one for you.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

ja vreemdeling, jy is skaars deesdae... Jy in Stellenbosch? PM my of bel bietjie

Bly jy het stok gekry, jy het baie uitgesien daarna.
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    What colour do you need. Most likely have one for you.
    Hi Mario!

Its just the normal stainless steel. Not coloured. It would be awesome if you have one. I asked the guys from whom I ordered to send me another one.. 3 Weeks later it arrived, fitted perfectly over the blank, but has a loop size of 5mm. Not what I would like to put on a 8wt. Such a little thing that causes such a big problem Now I just stare at the rod from time to time imagining what wonderful fish it will one day catch haha!

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    ja vreemdeling, jy is skaars deesdae... Jy in Stellenbosch? PM my of bel bietjie

Bly jy het stok gekry, jy het baie uitgesien daarna.
    Haha ja man ek was bietjie besig die laaste ruk hier! Ek was nou so week terug in Parys vir so paar dae. Dinge nie so goed met my oupa se gesondheid nie toe kuier ek bietjie da. Ek wou jou nog laat weet, ekt in daai week my personal best smallie op vlieg gevat. 59.5cm en VET! Soooo naby aan die 60 merk! Daars 'n moontlikheid dat ek dalk in Potch kom swot dan sal ons nog 'n paar trips moet maak! hopelik is my stok dan klaar. Eks lus vir daai 22pounder en die Ponchos na hom!!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by christo Stemmet View Post
    Hi Mario!

Its just the normal stainless steel. Not coloured. It would be awesome if you have one. I asked the guys from whom I ordered to send me another one.. 3 Weeks later it arrived, fitted perfectly over the blank, but has a loop size of 5mm. Not what I would like to put on a 8wt. Such a little thing that causes such a big problem Now I just stare at the rod from time to time imagining what wonderful fish it will one day catch haha!
    What loop size would you want to put on a #8 then? It would make it easier for me to know what you actually want on there.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

What loop size would you want to put on a #8 then? It would make it easier for me to know what you actually want on there.
    I was thinking 6.5 or 7mm, but what would you suggest for an 8wt? I'm still very new to this and would therefore much rather go with what you suggest!

I just measured the original one they sent me. It has a loop size of 7.5mm which looks fine, but the tube diameter is to small to fit.

I just measured the original one they sent me. It has a loop size of 7.5mm which looks fine, but the tube diameter is to small to fit.
    I have a few, but will only be in the Cape in 3 weeks.. Perhaps you could try Canesplitter, as he is based in Somerset West...
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

10. Default

So a XL loop with a 2mm (4.5) ID tube?? What tube size did they send you - it should be indicated on your invoice somewhere.
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 29-11-11 at 08:45 AM.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast