Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karnmelkspruit help please!

Default Karnmelkspruit help please!

Good day everybody.

I have been on the forum for some time now but this will be my first thread post. I’m 28, married and live in JHB. Hi…

As far as FF goes I really enjoy fishing for yellows and to fantasize about wild trout in streams. That’s why I a asking for help for my next trip to the Karnmelkspruit. I have been there once before last year. The river was super low and I only managed 1 small one. That’s after leopard-crawling along the bank (the only way I managed to stay out of sight) drifting a dry and dropper down a slow, really clear, run.
    My folks farm near Steynsburg (Eastern Cape) so during my visit there now in December I plan a trip there again. Hoping for some more success this time.

So your help will be much appreciated…

-What flies to tie/buy ? (I’ll probably buy the more difficult ones, not so good yet)
    - leader setup
    -What type of water to fish this time of year?
    - Any other advise for this kind of river fishing will help a great deal

Have a great festive season and travel safe…

2. Default

Drop me a PM - I'll be here over Xmas - happy to help where I can.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Yes Waldo as ek reg onthou, ken ek jou via Oom Kotie Kruger. Die Karnmelk is 'n great rivier en jy kan op al Mario (Smallstreams) se advies staat maak, hy ken daai area baie goed! Hier is my raad op dit wat jy vra:

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    -What flies to tie/buy ? (I’ll probably buy the more difficult ones, not so good yet
    Nymphs:
    Vliee soos GRHE's, Pheasant tail nymphs, Flashback nymphs and Zacks of soortgelykes werk goed. Size 10 -18, sal voldoende wees. Mario tie nogal 'n nice bling nymph wat goed werk, ek is seker iewers op die forum is 'n pic of twee daarvan. Basies hou ek maar van Mayfly imitations.

Dries

Vir die tyd wat jy daar is, sal ek vliee soos Adams parachutes, Klinkhamers, Red Humpy's, Deer hair cadis en so aan aanbeveel, jou basiese Mayfly en Cadis imitations werk goed. Sit maar 'n DDD, 'n hopper of twee of ander terestrial ook in jou boks om net meer kompleet te wees.

Wets

Net vir Mark, se chirp, kan ek jou se, 'n Walkers Killer en Mrs Simpson werk goed. Wees net gewaarsku, dat niemand mag weet jy fish down and acros in daai strome nie, dit is soos om by jou suster aan te le, just not done.

- leader setup
    Basiese 9ft 4 of 5X tapered leader is fine.

-What type of water to fish this time of year?
    Fish die inlets na die poele, die outlets ook. Die groot menere le gewoonlik in die dieper poele, so met swaar nymphs kan mens nogal lekker visies uitkrap. Natuurlik is dit die moeite werd om agter enige structure ook te loer, veral as die water redelik loop in daai gedeelte.

- Any other advise for this kind of river fishing will help a great deal
    Laat weet my watter stretch jy vang, dan kan ek dalk nog raad gee? Daai is 'n baie lekker rivier en jy sal dit baie geniet!

Hi Chris, ja dis via Oom Kotie. of via Oom Leon (dit sal seker Pa Leon vir jou wees)

Thanks vir die raad. Ek gaan by Lupela bly. Laaste keer het ek heelwat stroom af begin en tot by die lodge op gewerk. Was nog nie stroom op daar nie. Watse deel van die revier vang jy gewoonlik?

Tungsten is seker bietjie swaer vir die nymphs? Maar sal n paar insit vir die dieper poele. Dan ook n paar size 16 en 18 bind, meeste van my nymphs is 14 vir die vaal.

Ek wil ook dalk n dag trippie maak oranje toe daar onder die damwal (gariep)
    Gedink om by die tented camp in te gaan. Het jy al daai section gevang?

Weereens dankie

Ek vang deesdae die karnmelk net 2 keer per jaar, maar het op 'n stadium baie daar gekom. Ek hou van Lupela en Lammergeier, maar deesdae is die gorge maar waar jy my gaan kry.

Die deel onder Ghariep is regtig nice, ek vang gewoonlik aan die westekant van die N1, maar nader aan die wal is ook 'n paar lekker rapids, Waschbank veral as die water laag is. Dit is beslis die moeite werd om 'n daytrip soontoe te maak.

Geniet dit baie!

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Ek wil ook dalk n dag trippie maak oranje toe daar onder die damwal (gariep)
    Gedink om by die tented camp in te gaan. Het jy al daai section gevang?

Weereens dankie
    Hi Waldo..

Die deel by die kamp is goeie water, maar jy is bietjie gedruk vir tyd tussen die kragstasie se uitlaat.. Daar is 2 hoof stroomversnellings reg oorkant die kamp met baie water om te werk.
    Wees net versigting die water tel vinnig op tydens die uitlaat en as jy met jou broek af gevang word kan jy in groot akies wees... Dan kan jy ook bq verder afry met n kanoo of so daar is ook n bospaadjie wat afdraai van die pad na die kamp toe maar weet nie in watter toestand dit is nie wat na n groot rapid toe gaan tydens geen krag opwekking nie.

Wat fliee betref sal die wat jy in die vaal gebruik goed werk. Die sigbaarheid is nou nie van die beste nie, maar daar is bitter baie vis!!

Daar is ook al n hele paar grootbekke uitgehaal daar so pak daardie fliee ook maar in.

Sterkte!!
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

http://water-hogs.com/map/

Gaan check ook daai uit. Select die ghariep dam en kyk hoe lyk die lope onder die damwal...
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Hi Waldo,

If you are struggling for fish while you are at Lupela, try the following:

In the late afternoon (about 90 mins before dark) walk downstream from the lodge to the section where the road is right next to the river (about a km or so). You will see that the river makes a sharp turn to the right and has a rockface on the left-hand side looking downstream. Climb down the embankment above this point and cross the river. Walk downstream until you reach the pool that is on this corner. Start at the tail of the pool (stay on the bank out of the water) and slowly cast your way up it using a small dry fly (size 14 or 16 parachute adams should be fine). You should see a number of fish rising in this section at this time of the evening. Once the fish have stopped rising to your dry, attach a small nymph (doesn't really matter what) below it and carry on casting to the head of the pool. Try and cover the eddy on the far side of the head of the pool. When the fish have stopped taking the nymph then walk up above the pool, cross carefully to the head of the pool and sit down on one of the rocks about 5m from the head - it should be almost dark when you do this. Tie on a soft hackle or two and flip them into the head of the pool and retrieve back upstream - slowly first then try a more erratic retrieve. If this doesn't increase your catch rate then I give up

PS: Watch out for the cows on the walk back up to the lodge - they can give you a big skrik in the dark
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

9. Default

Nie werklik veel meer wat ek kan add tot wat Chris en Darryl reeds hierbo genoem het nie.

Sal die res op jou PM antwoord.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The water downstream of the lodge is the easiest to access and probably gets the most pressure so it's worth going for a bit of a walk. The water I enjoyed the most was actually about 2-3km's up river. The quickest route was too walk up to the radio mast and then head directly down to the river, zig zagging the cliffs as you went. Large deep pools with some real mosters! Basically between the pump (downstream end) and the bushman paintings (upstream end)

I did well on Darryl's cdc nymphs in black with an orange tungsten bead and small brown mayfly imitations with gold beads but you'll need to try and match whatever's hatching. Dont forget to pack some heavy streamers if the rivers up.

My only complaint about Lupela was that the water clarity isnt as good as the other venues upstream and it seems to take ages to clear. There were a few fields that had been plowed practically up to the bank and the guys in town apparently burn the back of the mountain. Hopefully this situation has changed and it wont be raining too much while you're there.

If you're into birds make a plan to do a trip around the pass and to the cape vulture colony in the gorge!
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast