Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karnmelkspruit help please!

1. Default

The river rose and discoulered a little on Sunday, and we had some more rain yesterday. Gentle drizzle though, so the river should still be pretty clean. Fishing was good over the weekend, with a lot of 14" fish coming out - not Lupela though, but Ian Cloete's water, just below Lupela. KMS is really looking good at the moment.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks so much for the advice gents... It is still a bit of a mystery to me how this thread thing works. Never know to what and who I am replying to.

I started tying last night for KMS. I am so amped. I never knew hot orange beads work on streams. Cool, then some of my nymphs I use on the vaal should be fine for those deeper pools you guys talk about.

Then, for the most part a 2 x nymph NZ rig? I also suppose it is advisable to fish without an indicator. I still struggle to detect all the takes nymphing like this without an indicator.

Mr.GT - Thanks vir jou raad. - Wat is n ave/goeie flowrate vir daar onder die dam? Wanneer mors ek my tyd?

Thanks again guys. This is super helpful

If the river's clear, I'd fish it dry-and-dropper style. Try sight fishing then...and also fish the likely "fishy" looking runs, glides and next to vegetation or under over-hanging reeds, grass and trees. if you need to go deeper, just add a section of tippet and another small nymph.
    Obviously look for rising fish....then fish it with a dry only. if you get no interest, add a dropper.

If the river's a bit murky, fish it NZ-nymphing style, with an indicator. Just adjust the depth the flies are drifting at by moving the indicator up and down the leader.

Well, that's what I would do anyway.
    Last edited by Michael; 15-12-11 at 09:31 AM.

Happy new year to you all...

Thought I would give a quick report back..

We left for Lupela early the 22nd. The water was perfect as we got there and I even spotted some rises as we drove up to the cottages. Enough to make you miss everything your wife tells you as you unpack the car. Just unpacked and a 40 min hail storm broke out. Well that was that, water looked like filter coffee with a little milk. I didnít even bother to go fish that afternoon. Next morning early not much change, but just to say that I did I made a few casts, (maybe about 4 casts) just to get out really. At least I got a well stocked box now after all the tying leading up to it. Still one of the most beautiful parts of our country still I rate. Iíll be backÖ..

Thank again for the advice..

ah pity about that man...hopefully next time you get a batter chance at it!

hopefully you still like your flies by the next trip
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

AT LONG LAST

Spent 1 night @ Lupela recently and 2 higher up on the river and had some epic fishing. River was flowing great after a wet-ish winter - apparently the area had about 5 proper snow falls this winter - So Mario you were right that the river would be flowing fine this time.

Landed a few 12-13" - most on small nymphs fished under a dry. Higher up the river was flowing much thinner but caught plenty in shallow runs.

So at long last I experinced the magic that is "Die Karnemelkspruit"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12