Thread: December fishing

mark Banned User

Default December fishing

I am going to fish at Elgro from the 27 Dec to 31 Dec and it will be my first time there, I hear that they have about 20km of river which is obviously alot so I was wandering if any of you guys are also fishing there the same time and wouldnt mind showing me the better fishing spots there 1 of the days.

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I am going to fish at Elgro from the 27 Dec to 31 Dec and it will be my first time there, I hear that they have about 20km of river which is obviously alot so I was wandering if any of you guys are also fishing there the same time and wouldnt mind showing me the better fishing spots there 1 of the days.
    Hey Mark,

20km's of river by Ark yes, not on foot.
    You will probably hire one of the Arks and be dropped off at Schoemansdrift bridge. All you do is just drift over to likely fish holding runs/pools ect. park the boat and fish, or drift fish, up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Hey Mark,

20km's of river by Ark yes, not on foot.
    You will probably hire one of the Arks and be dropped off at Schoemansdrift bridge. All you do is just drift over to likely fish holding runs/pools ect. park the boat and fish, or drift fish, up to you.
    Poach you mean ...

Getting out or anchoring is theoretically poaching if they do not own the actual land you stand on.

Speak to Kobus if he is around; they known the water well.

Very nice rapids close to the main accommodation area.
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Be careful with the drift.
    I know of a couple of guys who stopped and fished so many times in the first section, that the last 10km was paddled in the dark.
    Not so much fun, when you can see where you are going on a black night.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    Getting out or anchoring is theoretically poaching if they do not own the actual land you stand on.
    Question: does the river water belong to a land owner, or to the government? Obviously the banks belong to somebody private, but if you are wading in the water, are you on someone else's property that owns the land next to the water, or in public domain?

My wife is due with our first, early in Feb, so she warned me that I better squeeze in one last fishing trip before Jan... So Mark I might be on the water during that time, but unfortunately I cannot be of much assistance to you as I'm also new to the water.

Enjoy it!
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Question: does the river water belong to a land owner, or to the government? Obviously the banks belong to somebody private, but if you are wading in the water, are you on someone else's property that owns the land next to the water, or in public domain?

My wife is due with our first, early in Feb, so she warned me that I better squeeze in one last fishing trip before Jan... So Mark I might be on the water during that time, but unfortunately I cannot be of much assistance to you as I'm also new to the water.

Enjoy it!
    Ben
    All info here:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...l+river+treaty

It is NOT 'no man's land' - if I recall it was around that area that shots have been fired at FF folk
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch