Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R800 5/6wt

Default R800 5/6wt

Howzit dudes,

A mate of mine asked me to pick out a rod for him with a max price of R800. What would be my better options?

The rod will mostly be used for Stillwater and River trout fishing - not cape streams - KZN.

Cheers
    G
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Howzit dudes,

A mate of mine asked me to pick out a rod for him with a max price of R800. What would be my better options?

The rod will mostly be used for Stillwater and River trout fishing - not cape streams - KZN.

Cheers
    G
    Go for Elbe, 4wt.9FT.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Howzit dudes,

Cheers
    G
    Stealth Explorer
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Thanks. Think i'll give the Elbe a skip.

Is Stealth/Explorer my only options? Which ranges are under R800? I saw on Basil Manning that the Explorer Classic 2 is about R500.

What do the Echos/Redingtons/TFOs start at?
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Booger Rose Banned User

I have the Xplorer Classic II, havn't had any problems with it and they come with a great guarantee. You could also look at the Guide Series maybe.

I've had a few casts with an Elbe 9wt the other day and felt it to become lazy with the longer casts - I prefer the Classic II.

Blog Entries

I used a explorer classic 5wt for years had no problems with it got myself the echo 5wt now.
    Last edited by nicholas; 22-12-11 at 06:34 PM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Okay lets go this way:

Explorer Classic 2 vs Stealth Start? (Roughly same price range)

I have the Elbe and the TFO, cant wrong any. The TFO is a faster action lovely rod, but the Elbe falls better in your price range me thinks.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

The Xplorer Classic 2 is much better than the Stealth Start.

PS...don't knock the Elbe. If I had to choose between the Classic 2, Stealth, and Elbe...I'd choose the Elbe 5wt 9 foot. Very under-rated rod, excellent value for money. (Look past the negative hype)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast