Thread: Kurper on Fly

Default Kurper on Fly

Hi after fishing Varsfontien Bass estate ( close to Pretoria ) yesterday , I started off going for some bass but after only catching 1 in 3 hours I moved over to give the Blue kurper a go. I manged to catch 8 nice Blue Kurper ranging from hand size to about a kilo on a DDD with a Buzzer and flashback all on same rig.

Great fun on a 3# setup

Does anyone have any advice of other methods to catch Kurper ?

thanks in advance !

I remember those buggers when I was younger.On the vaal at Barkly wes close to Kimberley.Use to keep me buzy while dad went for Carp and yellows.They are nice to hook on a 3wt.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    I remember those buggers when I was younger.On the vaal at Barkly wes close to Kimberley.Use to keep me buzy while dad went for Carp and yellows.They are nice to hook on a 3wt.
    I had a great time , the biggest one was just over a kilo ! so it was at least a 10min fight !

We got blue gills in the cape and they are very simular to Blue kurpers.I know someone will probably correct me with the scientific name,but they are simular for me.Blue gills like small black flies.Strip medium to fast,maybe it will work with them
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    We got blue gills in the cape and they are very simular to Blue kurpers.I know someone will probably correct me with the scientific name,but they are simular for me.Blue gills like small black flies.Strip medium to fast,maybe it will work with them
    thanks for the advice , so when you say small and black , like size 12-14 buggers , flash back's and ptn's ?

Quote Originally Posted by tye2 View Post
    Hi after fishing Varsfontien Bass estate ( close to Pretoria ) yesterday , I started off going for some bass but after only catching 1 in 3 hours I moved over to give the Blue kurper a go. I manged to catch 8 nice Blue Kurper ranging from hand size to about a kilo on a DDD with a Buzzer and flashback all on same rig.

Great fun on a 3# setup

Does anyone have any advice of other methods to catch Kurper ?

thanks in advance !

Mark Yelland ties kurper fly. Have a look in the book by Malcolm Meintjies and Murry Pedder. (Favoured flies and techniques)
    Last edited by dizzy; 23-10-06 at 07:07 AM.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

anything with yellow in it is a killer on the surface for bluegills. Size 14's do the trick marvelously. Hopper patterns are generally irresistable

Glad you managed to find vasfontein. I told you the rig with the buzzer and flashback would work a treat - not much is going to out fish that. Why did you use a DDD

Which "dam" did you fish at vasfontein, granted that they are both connected - the smaller one with the trees or the larger more open dam?

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Glad you managed to find varsfontein. I told you the rig with the buzzer and flashback would work a treat - not much is going to out fish that. Why did you use a DDD

Which "dam" did you fish at varsfontein, granted that they are both connected - the smaller one with the trees or the larger more open dam?

Hi Jock

I started off with just a buzzer and flashback but it was overcast that morning and the Kurper only got going at 12:00 after the sun came out. By that time I had decided to try a suspended rig which worked so I did not change back. I fished the small Dam with the trees .

It's quite a nice place for a fishing in the week , but I think on weekends they must be very very busy !

thanks Again for the Help