Thread: Spanish Nymphing rig (15ft)

Arrow Spanish Nymphing rig (15ft)

I'm busy drawing pics for a mate i.r.o leader setups and thought I'd post this rig here seeing that it's nymphing season. It's a 15ft Spanish rig specifically designed for Smallmouth Yellows but can be altered for other inferior species by stepping down in tippet diameter. It's a quick excel drawing so please ask if you don't follow. Zoom to 150%.

SN.pdf
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 02-01-12 at 07:18 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Thanks Gerrit. Well posted.

Amazing how many tweaks can be made to the basic leader setup.
    Yes this is for mono nymphing, and for those who like fishing close as in Czech Nymphing it will work. No doubt about that.
    OMR has a similar set up, but not with so much mono out.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Here is a quick snap of what the sighter set up looks like.

It is 1.5ft long 10lb Yellow Double X strand and at each side of the knots (the tapered leader coming from the top and the tippet section going down to the flies) I place a luminous bead. In between those 2 I add another 2 beads. So in total 4 beads. The plastic beads are kept in place with red UV Fly paint. During daylight hours you would use the red as a guide and come dusk you "turn" to the luminous bead.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 02-01-12 at 08:22 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

FlyFanatic Banned User

Hey Gerrit,

That glow bead looks the works! I just looked at a packet of glow beads I have last night when cleaning up my tying desk and wondered how you would add them to the leader, well done! Will work like a charm at dusk!

Blog Entries

Thanks Gerry

On the last trip the leader I used was a 1X 15ft foot tapered leader. To this I added 1meter of 2X, 3X and 4X and my tippet construction.
    The overall leader length thus was 7.5 meters or 24.8ft. Incorporating the tippet added about another 1 meter. It worked very very well.

Pleasure treasure! I fish 9lb straight in most cases, too many obstacles to content with and a 12lb fish WILL f u up in no time if u don't have a bit of backbone. I get popped even on that very often.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 03-01-12 at 12:45 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

I agree Gerrit, one strength straight through. If you hook a 6kg fish you're going to have trouble on thinner tippet.

PS: Where do you get those beads?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Hi Werner sommer by Sollies.
    Gerrit Viljoen