Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Richtersveld advice please

Default Richtersveld advice please

Hi guys

I am planning a Richtersveld trip later this year. I can choose between the school holidays 22 July -16 June or 28Sept - 8 Oct. Am I right in saying the Sept/Oct is the better option (in terms of river flow and fishing)?

Then, I notice there are a number of camps in the park. Which camp would you guys recommend has the best fishing in the vacinity? (taking into consideration that my wife/4 year old kid/parents are joining me)

Thanks for the advice.

Ryno

Hi Ryno

Definitely September. Try and get to De Hoop as quickly as possible and stay there for most of your trip. Awesome venue. Best fishing and camping is great!

I'm doing a rafting trip in the area over that period with off course some fishing time included

Enjoy!

Cheers

Ryno

Pierre is spot on. Don't even waste your time at any of the other camps.

I'll also be there sometime in September.....

Cheers
    MC

I also enjoyed some good fishing at Potjiespram. Less options than De Hoop but also less campers and fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by caranx View Post
    I also enjoyed some good fishing at Potjiespram. Less options than De Hoop but also less campers and fishermen.
    Agreed- Potjies has some very good fishing as well and the fish are on average bigger than De Hoop. I would get bored fishing only De Hoop. Don't get me wrong, De Hoop is definitely the most beautiful place to stay but fishing at Jenny se gat and secrets at Potjies is also very lekker.

Not sure how the floods have affected either spots- hoping De Hoop has been redirected along its old flow lines!
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Hi Kevin

I was sharing your thoughts about the floods.

I will be interesting to hear what the floods have done to both spots.
    The one good thing about the De Hoop, is that if you are lucky, you can get a spot on the river for camping.

Potjies have the advantage that you can drive along the river for a couple of kilometers and pick different waters.

If it is another good year with lots of rain, not one of the 2 dates will be good.
    This last year, is an example, with river being to high right up to November.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks for the advice thus far!

I would like to fish both Potjies and De Hoop (and other spots if I can). Does anyone know if it is feasible to stay in the chalets at Sendelingsdrift and driiving out to fish Potjies? I want to avoid having to set up camp twice, given that we will be camping in De Hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Thanks for the advice thus far!

I would like to fish both Potjies and De Hoop (and other spots if I can). Does anyone know if it is feasible to stay in the chalets at Sendelingsdrift and driiving out to fish Potjies? I want to avoid having to set up camp twice, given that we will be camping in De Hoop.
    Not that far but I would personally not stay at Sendelings! If you are worried about setting up camp etc then consider driving into Nam and staying at a place like Norotshama for a few days and then moving on (via the pont) back into SA (you cross at Sendelings) and cruise to De Hoop.

There are also lots of rapids that you can access by car along the dirt road following the orange on the Nam side and there are bus fish in them. A place like Norotshama would offer more than Sendelings for the family.

If it was me- I would camp at Potjies for 3 days and then move to De Hoop for the rest (spend more days at De Hoop as it is generally prettier). Note that you need a vehicle with decent clearance to get over the Akkedis Pass. 4 wheel drive not necessary but does make thiings a lot easier.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

I returned from a couple of days in the Richtersveld.
    a bit of feedback.
    We camped at Potjiespram and drove one day to De Hoop.

The water at Potjiespram was high and discolored due to the Vis River flowing high from Namibia. (The confluence is between Potjiespram and De Hoop)

The Vis River water is much more "muddy/orange" than the water coming from the Orange, which have gone thru a couple of dams.

The water at De Hoop, was much cleaner, but the fishing was not easy.
    I caught PLENTY of muddies, a couple of yellows and the odd barber at Potjiepram.
    At De Hoop, the fishing was tough, with just a couple of SM yellows and one smallish LM coming out.

When staying at De Hoop, it adds another 2 hours drive to the trip, compared to Potjiespram.

From past experience, Potjiespram can have SUPER fishing, but this time it was not so great. But then De Hoop was also not HOT.

If you are going and plan on camping at Potjiespram for the fishing, check with the camp authorities at Sendlingsdrift, how much water is coming in from the Vis River and the color. If is good, go to Potjiespram, otherwise, you might be better off at De Hoop.

If you dont get one of the 2 "good spots" at De Hoop for camping, you can be exsposed in the afternoon wind.
    Potjiespram's campsites are all in and among the riverine bush, offering great protection from the afternoon wind, that almost always comes up in the afternoon. (cold ocean/hot desert)

Enjoy and give some feedback on return.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I se there is a place called Tatasberg that seems to have some nice looking water close to the bungalows.Anyone perhaps stay there before?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast