Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G's Turkey's Delight Mussel fly

Arrow G's Turkey's Delight Mussel fly

Dressing:

Hook: #10 Daiichi 1120
    Leadwire 1st layer: 19x 0.020" / There might be scope for a bead I'll see.
    Leadwire 2nd layer: 17x 0.020" / There might be scope for a bead I'll see.
    Underbody: Brown thread.
    Tag: Orange thread.
    Overbody: Turkey Quills.

No Julian it's not those pink sweeties you buy at the keffee....

I had to put on my "sculpting hat" to come up with this pattern as there isn't much tying taking place apart from maybe securing the lead wire wraps and a tag to suggest a head. The lead wire is squeezed flat with a plier and then shaped with a foul to achieve a tapered underbody (broad to thin). Turkey quills (5 or so at a time) are glued on side ways top and bottom and trimmed to follow the profile of the underbody and then varnished with Sally Hansons to create the sheen. I think the lines of the quills imitate the growth lines perfectly. I'm going to fish it as a control / anchor fly as you need to fish it close to the bottom where the naturals occupy their space in the system or as a top dropper I'll see where they prefer it. The fly ride hook point up.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 07-01-12 at 12:45 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Looks like a crispy piece of lamb when you first start carving the lamb on a spit. If you cast that near me at a braai, I would eat it!

As a fly, that puppy is gonna wiggle like crazy on the way down - be interested to hear how it works?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Hey leave out my meat you chop!

Here are more snaps of the TD but this one is different as I changed the taper around. I wanted to see for myself how it would look. I'm still toying with the idea of adding a orange bead and maybe rounding of the corners a lil more but I will see how they fare. I just hope I get to the river before winter.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 08-01-12 at 11:40 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

4. Default

Nice concept Gerrit - how durable do you think they will be??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks Mario,

It's got too many layers of glue and varnish so I doubt durability will be an issue but I will fish it and see.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 08-01-12 at 01:56 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Blog Entries

Is this kudu biltong used?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    Thanks Mario,

It's got too many layers of glue and varnish so I doubt durability will be an issue but I will fish it and see.
    Good stuff - I'm asking because it looks "flakey" to me from the pics. Looks great, and looking forward to hearing how/if it works.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Is this kudu biltong used?
    No man!! RHINO HORN STRIPS, stupid
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

BBQ flavored Biltong flakes idiots!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    BBQ flavored Biltong flakes idiots!
    Crab stix slivers rather. Match the ''hatch'', G...
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast