Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fly Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Welcome Fresh Fish!

Well done on the casting practice - you are doing something that very few of the rest of us actually do (i don't think the vaal veterans even know how to cast!:p), so it will serve you in good stead for the future. We should all practice casting more.
    Grant, you sh!tstirrer.

Come fish with us in winter Boet, then lets see who can cast a dry 20m on the nose of a surface feeding yellow, or a GO TO 25m + on a 6/7# onto a rock the size of a dinner plate.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Fish View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies and for the well wishes!

I think it will be a good idea to take up those lessons! The thought of another hook in the back of the head is just too much to bear!!!

Cheers
    Hi Sean your best bet is Phillip Meyer at Eikendal,somerset west....he will sort you out casting wise and you can catch some fish at he same time,if you ever want to fish the streams PM me and we can make a plan, i know you attorneys can take time of during the week if you fancy fishing this week, thursday or friday let me know.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Grant, you sh!tstirrer.

Come fish with us in winter Boet, then lets see who can cast a dry 20m on the nose of a surface feeding yellow, or a GO TO 25m + on a 6/7# onto a rock the size of a dinner plate.
    hehehe - Ja just Stirrrrring it up Herman!

I know you guys can cast, and more than likely far more accurately at 25m than i am, but that's cos down here we pride ourselves in being able to sneak up to within 3m of the fish so we don't have to cast that far! It's all about the stealth baby!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I know you guys can cast, and more than likely far more accurately at 25m than i am, but that's cos down here we pride ourselves in being able to sneak up to within 3m of the fish so we don't have to cast that far! It's all about the stealth baby!
    Praat jy wat tande het....

So was I Grant.

Joking aside, those streams of yours DO require steath, and accuracy. With the bushed in banks, it takes a totally different level of skill than just distance to get the fly over the nose of the fish in a lie.

To be perfectly honest and to some Blasphemous, I would fish your streams ANYDAY over the Vaal.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

[QUOTE=Herman Jooste;213266
    To be perfectly honest and to some Blasphemous, I would fish your streams ANYDAY over the Vaal.[/QUOTE]

Oom Harry, why do you think I only fished the Vaal once last year? I focused on the streams last year and this year looks no different. I love fishing for Yellows, but on the Vaal it's not fun anymore....Honestly.

I did find a gem of a Stream with Yellows and one or two other beauties in it. Schlossy and I are heading out there by the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post

I did find a gem of a Stream with Yellows and one or two other beauties in it. Schlossy and I are heading out there by the end of the month.

"Vas pappa!"
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    To be perfectly honest and to some Blasphemous, I would fish your streams ANYDAY over the Vaal.
    Herman I would never have thought I'd hear you say that. Now it seems there are more than just me that feel that way.

Wish my connections would allow more than 1 oke at a time in the streams I have up here, would have loved for you to have joined me. 1wt fishing for yellows.

Although to be honest the crystal clear, high altitude cold mountain waters is still my first choice. We must organize a trip to Lesotho.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12