• #7 weight

5 35.71%
  • #8 weight

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What weight next?

Question What weight next?

Ok guys&gals if have a bit of a dilema here,
    What weight outfit should I buy next? 5,6,7,8 weight.....

I mostly fish for bass around my area and some tilapia, have tried for carp (yet to catch one) and barbel (also not caught yet).
    I live in middelburg so I'm close to trout spots (caught one in november).
    Want to try for some yellows in my area also.

Ok so I have allready in my stable the following:
    #4/5 8'6" rod used for most of my fishing
    #4 8'6" rod used to target small fish on lighter tippets and soon small rivers/still waters

I have two #5 reels I use on both rods with #5 floating and #5 int lines on.

Which of the above mentioned weights would you choose and why if you were in my situation?

Thanks
    George
    George Victor Cooper

Blog Entries

I think you have 5wt covered. i would get a 10 ft 6wt. This Will cover all the bigger stuff and you can use it for yellow nymphing.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

i dont know much about this stuff at all, mostly because i dont have any fly kit yet, nor have i even tried to cast a fly... but...

i've read a lot, and i've spoken to a few shop owners. hence my vote for a 7wt rod based on other peoples knowledge that i've gathered
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I think you have 5wt covered. i would get a 10 ft 6wt. This Will cover all the bigger stuff and you can use it for yellow nymphing.
    I am agreeing with Nick on this one! #6 in a 10ft should cover you. I would take barbel, bass and yellows on the #6. I am Curremtly using my #5 for yellows on the vaal.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    I am agreeing with Nick on this one! #6 in a 10ft should cover you. I would take barbel, bass and yellows on the #6. I am Curremtly using my #5 for yellows on the vaal.
    I agree also, 6wt pretty much covers everything you've mentioned, 7wt and up is a bit of overkill for anything we have in our freshwater.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments guys

How much backing do you have on your #6? Was thinking for the reel I'll get an Okuma aitframe in 4-6 or 7-9 depending on rod choice.
    The reels are cheap and I will then get two, one for back-up and spare spool.

Another "dumb" question what the difference between #6 or #7 and a 6to7 weight?
    The way I see it is that the 6/7 weight is inbetween these two weights kinda like "6,5" weight?
    Should I then get a 5/6 or 6/7 or a 6?
    Last edited by GVC86; 15-01-12 at 09:42 PM.
    George Victor Cooper

Blog Entries

I'll first get a reel to match my rod.

Quote Originally Posted by GVC86 View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys

How much backing do you have on your #6? Was thinking for the reel I'll get an Okuma aitframe in 4-6 or 7-9 depending on rod choice.
    The reels are cheap and I will then get two, one for back-up and spare spool.

Another "dumb" question what the difference between #6 or #7 and a 6to7 weight?
    The way I see it is that the 6/7 weight is inbetween these two weights kinda like "6,5" weight?
    Should I then get a 5/6 or 6/7 or a 6?
    Hi George,

Go with a #6 straight. I don't know what is the difference, but your reasoning sounds right about it being a #6,5.

As for backing, I have about 100m of backing on my #5 reel
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Hi George,

Go with a #6 straight. I don't know what is the difference, but your reasoning sounds right about it being a #6,5.

As for backing, I have about 100m of backing on my #5 reel
    Sjoe FC what reel do you have? Cause I only get like 65m of 20lb on my 5wt sensation viking with a 5wt WF-F.

@redhumpy if I understand correctly if you were me you would first get a 4wt reel and line?
    George Victor Cooper

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GVC86 View Post
    @redhumpy if I understand correctly if you were me you would first get a 4wt reel and line?
    What I am saying is buy what you need, not what you haven't got.
    Your 5wt will handle everything our inland waters can throw at you.

If you are going on a trip to catch tigers or fish the surf then by all means buy something heavier once the reservations are made, but dont waste money on something that sits in your cupboard and never gets used.

If you are going to fish mainly the areas where you live then my option on your poll would be "none of the above". What are you going to do with a 6wt or heavier in Mpumalanga?

Save the money - buy a bottle of good whiskey - and do your "heavier" fishing on the Internet. We all do.
    Last edited by redhumpy; 16-01-12 at 11:21 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast