Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality / service

Default Quality / service

Hi

Thought we can start a thread on bad service poor quality products etc on fly fishing equipment. This will maybe keep the manufacturers, distributers and shop owners honest and up service levels. We can also make better buying decisions in the future.

I have a Explorer 5W Guide series rod and bought it because of their "No fuss lifetime warranty. The middle seciton broke and I thought it best to contact Jandi trading themselves in Durban. Because I have family staying there it was agreed that they will take the rod and Jandi will replace it.

Everyting was arranged and Jandi was expecting us. Except that when they arrived there wasn't any stock and they were told to come at a later stage or that they will ship the section at a later stage

Now running out of stock can happen. But I phoned beforehand too make sure that everything was arranged, that there was stock and that Jandi trading was expecting us.

When I told the manager that maybe I should stop buying Explorer products (I have a ton load including an expensive pontoon) he said that's my perogative.

Well I slammed the phone and will NEVER buy one of his products again.

Blog Entries

Any company is as good as the person you deal with.

unfortunately i have been having the same issue as you with Jandi trading...

i have been waiting for 5 months for a tip section for me 8 piece 5wt travel rod...

their responses are really average and rarely respond to an e-mail within weeks...

very unfortunate how they dont seem worried at all about service levels.

first time was great service, and now this...
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

At the same time i think it important to talk about good service from people in the industry, as it will push more business the way of those that derserve it.

1) Recently dealt with Philip at Eikendal regarding an Airflo line that i wanted and needed for a fast approaching fishing trip. He didn't have stock but said he'd make a plan, and organised for Stealth to ship the line directly to me instead of them sending it to him for me to pick up. Great service from both Philip and Stealth

2) The last couple of times i have dealt with Frontier in JHB they have been awesome in helping me out quickly. I had a problem where i broke a friend's fly line and they got me a new one to CPT within a week, and also i ordered a float tube from them which they had in my arms 2 days later in CPT. Great service!

so redhumpy is right: "Any company is as good as the person you deal with."
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Heads up to Mark Krige from Upstream. Before I could say brb the parcel was ready for collection.
    Gerrit Viljoen

I like this thread, I'm doing something similar for the Rustenburg chamber of commerce and this seems to work thus far.

First off Jandi trading will NEVER see me, responses like "that is your perogative" translates to "I don't give a F&%K" and I deal with people like that once only, be it the individual or not, they represent the company.

Regarding Frontier, I've always seen them as being way too expensive but after reading this post regarding service, I am thinking again. Maybe the price is worth the service.

We should have started something like this a long time ago, Philip can we maybe get this as an individual category in stead of just a thread?

I believe having this as a feature of the site it will force these guys to look at service incidents and up the game. FlyTalk is read by thousands and we can make a difference to our service levels.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Totally agree giving positive feedback to the guys that deserves some kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Myburgh View Post
    Totally agree giving positive feedback to the guys that deserves some kudos.

Very good thread. Been a whole thread about it but worth mentioning again- Upstream went out of their way to sort out the issues a few of us had with Simms Freestones that we had bought- and thanks to their hard work we ended up with brand new Riverdsheds! Now that's looking after your clients.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Myburgh View Post
    When I told the manager that maybe I should stop buying Explorer products (I have a ton load including an expensive pontoon) he said that's my perogative.

Well I slammed the phone and will NEVER buy one of his products again.

Guess I was lucky then! Received my 3/4# Explorer Guide tip back (in Joburg) within 2 weeks! Completely exceeded my expectations.

Question: What would you have wanted them to say when you threatened not to buy from them anymore? Is it not really your prerogative to go somewhere else? Anyone with a business here? What do you say to customers who threaten to take their business elsewhere? Just asking, coz' maybe they weren't trying to be arrogant, but didn't feel like getting into an argument with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Al1 View Post
    Guess I was lucky then! Received my 3/4# Explorer Guide tip back (in Joburg) within 2 weeks! Completely exceeded my expectations.

Question: What would you have wanted them to say when you threatened not to buy from them anymore? Is it not really your prerogative to go somewhere else? Anyone with a business here? What do you say to customers who threaten to take their business elsewhere? Just asking, coz' maybe they weren't trying to be arrogant, but didn't feel like getting into an argument with you.
    If a client tells me he's going to take his business elsewhere I do ANYTHING to keep that client, usually it costs me money but I do whatever it takes. No business can afford to loose clients or get bad reviews. If an employee of mine were to say something like that he would get a disciplinary and they all know this.

Absolutely unacceptable.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast