Thread: Just Started------->

Default Just Started------->

Hi All

I also just started Fly Fishing. I’ve always loved fishing, but never picked up a Fly Rod. I thought spinning was the way forward and a fly rod was for the birds.

I was invited on a Fly Fishing trip to Jozini, so i went out and bought all the gear...Rod, reel, sinking line, backing....flys....and on and on.....Gosh it hurt my pocket a bit but it turned out to be a well spent investment.

We arrived at a tented camp on the Pongola river (below the dam wall) I was blown away by the pristine environment that met us(crystal clear waters). The guides took us 20km up the river and we floated down on kayaks. All the way down we fished for tigers. It was an awesome experience which has convinced me to never pick up a spinning rod again...

I’m glad I found this forum. It seems very well supported. As a beginner, im sure ill be able to get a lot out of it.

TX

Scotty

welcome Scotty...

you seem to have had a better introduction into the sport than 99% of us on here. fantastic sport, gets even better when you start tying your own flies and getting fish consistently.

lots of info on here, so use the search function to find most things. anything more, ask away and enjoy.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Welcome Scotty !

Man i read about that pongola trip and will love to go and do it !
    Glad you left the spinning stuff behind and joined
    the feathers and fur thing we all are so fanatic about !

enjoy the Forum , lots to learn here !!!
    have rod , will travel . . .

Welcome!!!

If I was not into flyfishing and I went to the Calverleys camp, it would've converted me! Awesome place to fish!

Sell those spinning rods. you dont need them anymore
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

welcome scotty,

im jealous already and im only getting my fly gear in a few weeks time.

i looked into the tented camp jozini experience after reading another members post, and it seems truly fantastic. i only say this because i've always wanted to have a go at catching tigers, and flyfishing too. catching tigers on fly is a double-wammy!

enjoy.
    vaughn
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Welcome Scotty.

There's loads of info on here which will help you a lot, looks like you started with a great trip.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Welcome Scotty, enjoy.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.