Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salty dummy ....

Question Salty dummy ....

Howzit guys !

I am really looking to up my game in the salt this year and got some mates together for a Cape Vidal trip .

It seems like the best time is June and July . Due to work , i will only be able to get a week off in August , is this a good time to go? are the winds too strong ? are the fish even in ?

Any help will do !
    Thanx
    have rod , will travel . . .

Plan your trip with Paul in mind. He knows his way around St. Lucia and Vidal.

See for yourself....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showp...1&postcount=43

There is only a handful of guys that has landed a GT over a 100cm of our coast. Not an easy task. Hats off to him, he is your man.

Drop him a PM

Shot E.T , Dankie vir die heads up !
    have rod , will travel . . .

Default GTs over 100cm

E T thanks, you make me sound like a guru !! Ha Ha. Not true, just a case of lots of time on the water and a bit of luck ! By the way that is my 5th Gt over 100cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Weingartz View Post
    E T thanks, you make me sound like a guru !! Ha Ha. Not true, just a case of lots of time on the water and a bit of luck ! By the way that is my 5th Gt over 100cm.
    Hats off to you Paul, that's a fantastic feat and the stuff that many dream about and never get to accomplish. I am up in arms cause I think I must actually build my Sage Xi2 12wt instead of selling it and maybe join you on one of your future outings.

Maybe I can pick up a few things while attending class.... LOL!!!

vidal in August is great...tons of shad around especially in the last two weeks...
    only thing is you'll be sharing with many many bait anglers...

if you have a boat, even better.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

The shad are a treat when they're in if you're starting out, but as Gary has mentioned you might end up arm wrestling for a spot.

I'd suggest December, with the high tide being in the evening. If there's a spring while you're there even better.

The big thing when you're starting out is learning to identify water and gaining confidence that you're not fishing in a desert. In the height of summer there are millions of wave garrick, bream species, snappers, queenfish and small kings around which will help you get that confidence. A lot of these fish arent as easy to catch in winter.
    Check your knots!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    The shad are a treat when they're in if you're starting out, but as Gary has mentioned you might end up arm wrestling for a spot.

I'd suggest December, with the high tide being in the evening. If there's a spring while you're there even better.

The big thing when you're starting out is learning to identify water and gaining confidence that you're not fishing in a desert. In the height of summer there are millions of wave garrick, bream species, snappers, queenfish and small kings around which will help you get that confidence. A lot of these fish arent as easy to catch in winter.
    Have to agree, the Shad can be a hit and mis. One day there the next no where to be found, if the bait guys see you landing Shad it wont be 5min and the whole beach is on top of you. You will get wave garrick and some bream species around August but as Jock0 said summer is the best time to come.

Also try come for more than a week, it will give you a beter chance at a few days good weather before a cold front moves in which is almost every week.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

again though, if you can get out on a boat at that time and do a bit of searching, you can find shoals of bonnies, snoek and couta which would be great fun on fly...

if shorebound, summer is best for sure
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    again though, if you can get out on a boat at that time and do a bit of searching, you can find shoals of bonnies, snoek and couta which would be great fun on fly...

if shorebound, summer is best for sure
    Boat access in Zululand around August? I'd go straight past Vidal and head to Secunda by The Sea...
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast