Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G's Furry Crab

Arrow G's Furry Crab

This fly had to meet a few criteria before I could bring it to life.

1) It had to swim in a normal way i.e hook point down.
    2) The whole "look" of the Crab had to fit on a Gamakatsu B10S hook otherwise I just couldn't be bothered with tying a Crab pattern of this size.
    3) All other important triggers were secondary and just a matter of filling in the gaps i.r.o materials.

To tell you a bit about the materials used I can reveal that the body is made of 2x cut outs of Furry foam, the pincers of Squirrel, the eyes, (if you want to call the little that's there eyes) are the excess kept of the pinchers already tied in, stripped of their fur, folded forward / over,secured with thread,glued and cut to length. I used a black marker to make it more prominent. The legs from micro chenille knotted onto the shank. For a little weight I added some lead wire. Just enough to make the fly negatively buoyant.

This fly is meant for very little current dropped upstream above and next to big boulders and letting it drift back to me. I think this Olive version is going to work a treat in Stillwaters (Trout) too! Im waiting for some tan foam to arrive before I tie some more suited (ito colour) for rivers like the Orange and Vaal.

Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 22-01-12 at 10:45 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

very impressive!

Why hook point down??

Is the bottom jaw hookup worth the pain of getting hooked on the structure ??

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Denton,

Yes absolutely and that is "if" you get stuck considering where you'll fish it. This weed guard is potent, all my largie flies have them and ride similar in the water. Also, who said all Crab flies must ride hook point up?

Ps.You forget about scissor hook ups, very common!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Beautiful.

Great work as always.

Thank you for sharing Gerrit and for the continued FLY FISHING & TYING contribution to this forum. We need more of this and less of the other $hit.

Ok, so let me get back to tying for Fridays Sterkies trip

Making good progress with a batch of flies due to lessons learned from you G, thanx :-)
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

I'm always stunned by your work!

I think the bass will love it too.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Great fly G-man! Will definitely work well! Damn would have liked to drop one of these at Schoemans just behind the weir.. some monsters lurking there!

Interesting colour scheme, based on actual crabs you found I presume? Or for spesific venue? Or they just looked nice when you tied them? (But knowing you, you are WAAAAAY to spesific and scientific about your fly tying to just use it because it looked nice.. )

Freakin awesome flies as usual Gerrit. Also interested to know why you went for olive?

Thanks guys, always appreciate your comments. It's Olive because the shop only had Olive. NO seriously it's no your common Crab colour yes but years of research revealed Olive to be a good Lake producer so I thought let me tie them in Olive too. Ask guys like Grant and Korrie. I can tell you that I won't tie them in pink.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 22-01-12 at 04:43 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Great crab fly here, also would tie it hook down, gives better balance in the water as well.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast