Thread: Chobe River

Default Chobe River

Hi all

My name is Alistair. I have been on the forum for a while and contribute wherever i can. I have been fly fishing for 15 years and do a fair amount( obviously never enough).

i am going on a houseboat on the chobe over the easter weekend. I am wondering if any other forum members have been on one of the houseboats on this stretch of water?

i fished for tigers a number of time but all on the lower zambezi. if anyone has any tip for the chobe, flies etc it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

A friend of mine has connections on those house boats in said area, he's told me quite a bit about it and from what I can gather it is quite the experience.

The fish you are likely to catch are Bream, Tilapia, Barbel and Squeakers and then off-course Tigers.

Last time I tried fishing for tigers I almost became lunch for a rather large croc. Some of the other guys will be able to tell you more regarding tiger flies etc.

Use the search function, there have been quite a bit on tigers and their flies lately.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by swrali001 View Post
    Hi all

My name is Alistair. I have been on the forum for a while and contribute wherever i can. I have been fly fishing for 15 years and do a fair amount( obviously never enough).

i am going on a houseboat on the chobe over the easter weekend. I am wondering if any other forum members have been on one of the houseboats on this stretch of water?

i fished for tigers a number of time but all on the lower zambezi. if anyone has any tip for the chobe, flies etc it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
    Hi Alistair,

Ive spent my fair share of months that side of the world so may be able to help a little. Where abouts is the operator based? As your approach differs a bit if you are fishing closer to the Kasai channel or closer to Kasane.
    In my experience bulldogs start forming more of the food chain as you venture closer to the Kasai with Imberi still being the prominent baitfish closer to Kasane. Although it is a relatively close distance there seems to be quite a contrast in prevalent baitfish species. To that end I personally have found copper/brown to be a stronger trigger the closer you are to the Kasai and silver and green to be a better bet near Kasane. Granted you may well be trolling from the house boat, if so you are more likely to encounter schools of smaller tigers and they are far more opportunistic.
    If youre able to give me a bit more specific info on where you will be I may well be able to give you hand.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Thanks for the help. we start close to the kasai channe and then head east along the chobe towards the confluence with the Zambezi. hope this helps. will mainly be fly fishing using the tender boats with the houseboat.

any advice or reports on what the fishing will be like in April. i know its not ideal as the summer months are usually best.

any tips for this time of year will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swrali001 View Post
    Thanks for the help. we start close to the kasai channe and then head east along the chobe towards the confluence with the Zambezi. hope this helps. will mainly be fly fishing using the tender boats with the houseboat.

any advice or reports on what the fishing will be like in April. i know its not ideal as the summer months are usually best.

any tips for this time of year will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Alistair,

Youre moving a bit further up than Im familliar with, but as mentioned you should find that bulldogs start becomming more prevalent.
    So your coppers and browns become a bit more important.
    The bulldog is a very slim baitfish width wise but does have a deep belly that is quite pronounced. Ive found that a wider profile that incorporates a bit of lateral flash works rather well for bigger fish.

However during April the flows are still rather high, and the water is well up in the floodplains. So your concentration of fish in the channels will be lower while they are forced to chase baitfish more. Additionally there will be more color in the water, so you may well need bulkier flies that push more water to get interest. The upside is that they will be far more opportunistic while on the prowl. I also wouldnt play around with anything less than a Di7 but by the sounds of things your experience in the Zambesi should serve you well here. Tigers are *HIGHLY* migratory but if you focus your approach around the food forms in the system youre fishing I find it to be half the battle won.
    To that end I would tend away from using tillapia imitations as they should be nesting in the palmiet rather than be out and about and just focus on those bulldogs.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Thanks so much for all your info. looking forward to it