Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grunter on fly!

Default Grunter on fly!

Welocome!! been there, done that.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hey Henkie

Welcome to the forum. Nice video and great fish.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

nice video and nice fish! and welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

FlyFanatic Banned User

Nice video! Would loove to catch a grunter, tried for hours at Stillbaai lagoon, but to no avail.. That while my baitfish buddies where nailing them on sand prawns!

I see that you definitely know how to catch the elusive grunter, but you must be carefull about how you handle your rod!

One day you are going to do that trick of holding the rod half way up and end up having a 4 piece rod. (Ask me I know, 5kg+ barbel+ 5wt rod + Vaal river in high flows + above landing technique + stupidity = 4 piece rod )

Fly rods are immensely strong and flexible, BUT ONLY if you apply all the pressure from the butt/grip of the rod. That way the rod arcs perfectly from the butt to the tip, if you grip it higher up you expect the same flex at a way tighter and unnatural curve.

(P.S. Sorry for changing the topic, but since this is FlyTalk and everybody does it I might just as well join the horde.. )
    Last edited by FlyFanatic; 25-01-12 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altena View Post
    Very nice video, it looks like there were 3 venues, Witsands and others perhaps?

Regards

Thanks for the video. Welcome to Fly Talk.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    Very nice video, it looks like there were 3 venues, Witsands and others perhaps?
    Definitely not Witsands. Probably Groot Brak considerining Henkies location.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    Definitely not Witsands. Probably Groot Brak considerining Henkies location.
    I stand corrected...

Regards

Advice is like snow - the softer it falls, the longer it dwells, and the deeper it sinks into the mind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge

thanks for sharing...awesome stuff...seems like a very simple prawn imatation...is it necessary to use bogas on them tho?i know the sharp plate behind the gills is dangerous as are the sharp spikes on the dorsal fin but surely there mouths are to soft to be using the bocas on....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast