Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Padda man!

Arrow Mr. Padda man!

I've always wanted to tie an easy peasy adult floating Frog pattern and I think I finally got the recipe right. Basically a foam cylinder for the body and Squirrel skins for legs. Some additional triggers are the white belly, the 3D eyes,some specific coloring with black dots and a hot thread head.I've tied up some for a mate in the Cape (he's tired of catching Trout, going to target those monster SM Bess instead ) but I'm having the first jab with these come next week.

Attachment 12799

Attachment 12800

Attachment 12801
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 25-01-12 at 11:17 AM.

Really Cool
    How about a short pair of front legs, next to the weedguard?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Korrie but then it becomes a 10min fly and not 5min you know what I'm saying? The back legs WITH "popping" sound would suffice I'm sure. Nice suggestion though.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 25-01-12 at 02:03 PM.

Hi Gerrit,

Awesome flies as always! could you please direct me to your supplier for those foam cylinders? mail order friendly preferably. Cant seem to find anything listed on any of the local sites, and I am rather lazy to phone all the shops to check if they have any.

My saltwater popper collection consists of a total... wait for it....of 3 flies!! I really need to change that

Thanks,
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I think Wapsifly does them. Or Hareline can't remember. Ask the shops to pluk out the catalogue and order you some.

Mooi paddas!

Gerrit,

Well done on the frogs. looks great.

Just a question, because i don't know better, does the legs not stick together when stripping/popping the frogs through the water? Do you not want the legs to be seperated some what, to imitate the swimming action of the frog?
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

I use surfboard foam for all my poppers and froggys but yours look much neeter than mine

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Gerrit,

Well done on the frogs. looks great.

Just a question, because i don't know better, does the legs not stick together when stripping/popping the frogs through the water? Do you not want the legs to be seperated some what, to imitate the swimming action of the frog?
    Thanks a lot.

Here is a swimming Frog. Note the postition of the back legs and picture the Squirrel legs doing exactly the same. What you can't really see in my pics is that I glued the first few millimeters of the hide just to slightly separate them but also to keep them from fouling on every cast. I think they will foul a little but that's not the end of the world. Also note the forelegs in the link, how they're almost hidden and hence why I left them out in my fly.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 25-01-12 at 01:32 PM.

Hey baie mooi parra Gerrit!! I've also done away with front legs on my frogs don't think they make any difference.And I know some purists probably won't agree but also done away with zonker/mink for legs and replaced with 2 bass "curly tail worms" cut and superglued together...muuuch better swimming action, but ads quite a bit of weight to the fly. Did you coat them with epoxy?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast