Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Thrift - conditions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    gauteng
    Posts
    2

    Default Thrift - conditions

    hi muds


    Anyone have tips and update on fishing at thrift following the droughts and now the dam filling up? Still a lot of big fish around and are the numbers of fish still around?

    Also appreciate any tips - seems like the bend is always good, cliffs not to bad, know that the area by the road produces some very nice fish - but never fished over that.

    let me know - any stories of tippet popping fish welcome..

    jabu

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabu View Post
    hi muds


    Anyone have tips and update on fishing at thrift following the droughts and now the dam filling up? Still a lot of big fish around and are the numbers of fish still around?

    Also appreciate any tips - seems like the bend is always good, cliffs not to bad, know that the area by the road produces some very nice fish - but never fished over that.

    let me know - any stories of tippet popping fish welcome..

    jabu
    Hi Robert,

    Firstly welcome to your first post on the forums. Maybe you have been lurking for a while ?????.

    There is a section called "Introductions & Great Adventures", how about telling us a bit more about yourself ?

    From your post above, you obviously have some experience and knowledge of f/f.
    I look forward to your contributions to the threads where you can add to the knowledge base on the forums.

    AS far as Thrift is concerned, I would have NO idea.

    BTW, what did you mean by Hi Muds , WHO THE F*CK IS MUDS ?????

    If he is a buddy PM him, if not, DON"T REFER TO THESE MEMBERS AS MUDS.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem, Free State
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD I think it might have been a typo Herman
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD I think it might have been a typo Herman
    Should check his FIRST post before posting.

    P.S. I checked your link. Fishing is REAL LIFE, not some stupid cyber game.
    Last edited by Herman Jooste; 26-01-12 at 06:31 PM.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem, Free State
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Should check his FIRST post before posting.

    P.S. I checked your link. Fishing is REAL LIFE, not some stupid cyber game.
    Hmmmmmm, now I am intrigued
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    633

    Default

    I went 2010 in June. The wind set the bakkie alarm off and it was difficult to stand up straight. If you wade there you might not be a mud but you will certainly be covered in it. The water was chocolate brown. The temperature in the middle of the day hovered at around 7 degrees. Combine that with being wet and gail force winds and the outcome is rather unpleasant. I thought that it was all just bad luck but have since been in EC at the same time of year with near freezing temperatures and wind which blew me over so piece of advice: go any time that isn't winter. I hardly got a fly in the water so can't help much with the fishing unfortunately. Sorry I can't be much help.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Hi Robert,

    Firstly welcome to your first post on the forums. Maybe you have been lurking for a while ?????.

    There is a section called "Introductions & Great Adventures", how about telling us a bit more about yourself ?

    From your post above, you obviously have some experience and knowledge of f/f.
    I look forward to your contributions to the threads where you can add to the knowledge base on the forums.

    AS far as Thrift is concerned, I would have NO idea.

    BTW, what did you mean by Hi Muds , WHO THE F*CK IS MUDS ?????

    If he is a buddy PM him, if not, DON"T REFER TO THESE MEMBERS AS MUDS.
    Good call!!! Herman!!!, no welcome from me.
    Thrift deserves better,
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I went 2010 in June. The wind set the bakkie alarm off and it was difficult to stand up straight. If you wade there you might not be a mud but you will certainly be covered in it. The water was chocolate brown. The temperature in the middle of the day hovered at around 7 degrees. Combine that with being wet and gail force winds and the outcome is rather unpleasant. I thought that it was all just bad luck but have since been in EC at the same time of year with near freezing temperatures and wind which blew me over so piece of advice: go any time that isn't winter. I hardly got a fly in the water so can't help much with the fishing unfortunately. Sorry I can't be much help.
    Cant take the weather, stay at home!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    gauteng
    Posts
    2

    Default MUDs.

    Lol, some upset people here.. Sorry guys: no offense meant, just slipped into fishing speak, that strange language one develops with a group of friends when you fish a lot together.

    Will update profile as I go along first time person on the forum, was searching for reports on thrift and found a few on here. Haven't fished it for seven years or so, but heard reports of 35 ten pounders coming out of the Dam last year. That's a lot of big fish to come out of a single south African da

    Seems like that this was mainly due to the drought, the dam dried up to a trickle which made it easier to fish. Now with the rains the Dam is full to overflowing and fish more dispersed. Hopefully a week at the dam will be enough but some advise would be appreciated.

    Cheers

    Jabu

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    KZN North Coast
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Jabu you manslut! How goes it?

    I was wondering if you were still around. Herman, "muds" is a term of endearment is Jabu's world

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •