Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader setup for tigerfish

Default Leader setup for tigerfish

Hi guys!
    I'm planing a trip to Calverly's camp at the end of Feb. The question i have is this, Firstly what leader setup to use and is it nesasery to use steel trace? I know there are guy's out there that fish skock tipit insted of steel trace and swear by it that they get more takes! In that case what knots do you use along the leader and to tie the fly on with? cos shock tipit is usualy some thing like 30-40 lbs gut witch is quite thick.
    The other thing is if I use steel trace how do I conect the steel trace to my leader as swiwels are aparently out as they form bubbles and tigers bithe at the bubbels!

Info like what lbs for the shock tipit and the normal leader line as well as the entire length of the leaders will be extreamly helpfull

Help would be realy apriciated espesialy from the okes that do this kind of fishing reguarly!

PS! For those that feel like refering me to the search button please be my guest and tipe in " leader setup for tigerfish" and see if you get any good info that way!

Cheers!
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

Blog Entries

these are the options...

I would leave out the mono bite trace as an option. you may have more takes but is it worth risking leaving the fish with a fly in its mouth? i wouldn't.

this is what i would suggest. others may have better suggestions

Either use 20-30lb Piano wire attached to a 20lb straight mono/flouro leader of about 9ft. Haywire twist to fly and Albright to Mono/Flouro. Keep the piano wire about 5-10cm long, the shorter the better as it tends to bend after a few takes when its longer and take away from the flies action.

Or your next option is knotable wire (think this is the best) or nylon coated trace .. again albright knot to mono/flouro and Fig 8 knot to fly

links:
    Fig8
    http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic....96&forum_id=44
    Albright Knot
    http://www.fsfaclub.org/Fishing%20Ti...s/Albright.pdf
    Haywire Twist
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb69LzqXmWY[/youtube]
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 26-01-12 at 11:46 PM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Blog Entries

This is how Murray Peddar Suggested I tie my flies for the Okavango. Piano wire with a Haywire twist to a power swivel and the fly, about 1.5 times the length of the flies tail.
    Last edited by Pipe; 27-01-12 at 08:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Here is a photo of my flies at this link:

http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic....117&forum_id=4
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I used a straight 12kg maxima leader, nothing fancy. Some guys don't like using the small power swivel, so then you can use the albright knot. Didn't have any problems with casting or retrieving with the small powerswivels
    Last edited by Pipe; 27-01-12 at 08:51 AM.

6. Default

Yip, that's about right...

We recommend level 20 or 25lbs maxima, about 6 to 7 foot.

#5 toothproof wire trace, not for the breaking strain, but reduce kinks, which make the fly pig tail, about 4 to 6 inches long, with a #10 power swivel to connect it to the leader. We have had failures with the knotable wire, and that's why we don't recommend or stock it.

If you use a loop on the end of the fly line, please make it black with a permanent marker, and check it every day to keep it black.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    We have had failures with the knotable wire, and that's why we don't recommend or stock it.
    Thats interesting, I have never used it before but I have seen it in action and its much easier to work with. If i may was it knot failures or the wire it self?

I was also wondering if colouring your loop black does really help? I fished with my loop as is for two days without a issue and considering that tigers love black flies, im just wondering if it helps? just curious

Regards,

Konrad
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 27-01-12 at 09:35 AM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I've also had knotable wire fail, all I could conclude was that it doesnt handle shock well?

My preferred setup is 6ft of 20lb seaguar flouro tied to a #10 power swivel, haywire-ed to 15cm of #4 piano wire, haywire-ed to my fly. Make the top haywire as small as possible and the bottom haywire roughly the diameter of a pencil.

I honestly cant remember having lost a fish where another one has taken the swivel so the risk cant be that great unless there are hordes of rats and mice about.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by WJvE View Post
    Hi guys!
    I'm planing a trip to Calverly's camp at the end of Feb. The question i have is this, Firstly what leader setup to use and is it nesasery to use steel trace? I know there are guy's out there that fish skock tipit insted of steel trace and swear by it that they get more takes! In that case what knots do you use along the leader and to tie the fly on with? cos shock tipit is usualy some thing like 30-40 lbs gut witch is quite thick.
    The other thing is if I use steel trace how do I conect the steel trace to my leader as swiwels are aparently out as they form bubbles and tigers bithe at the bubbels!

Info like what lbs for the shock tipit and the normal leader line as well as the entire length of the leaders will be extreamly helpfull

Cheers!
    swivels can create bubble and you may get bitten off very occassionally using them, but i'd still use steel wire trace.
    you could also buy very small solid rings and use a haywire twist to attach you wire to them and tie your leader onto the ring. will take away that bubble issue.
    if you want to go shock tippet, i'd buy a hard high abrasion mono probably in the 40 pound class to help protect against their teeth. but after every hit, i would recommend checking the line. which would result in less fishing time and it would be frustrating to say the least to check your line all the time.
    all-in-all my choice...maybe 8-9ft leader (tapered if you prefer) with some wire onto your flies.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    I've also had knotable wire fail, all I could conclude was that it doesnt handle shock well?

My preferred setup is 6ft of 20lb seaguar flouro tied to a #10 power swivel, haywire-ed to 15cm of #4 piano wire, haywire-ed to my fly. Make the top haywire as small as possible and the bottom haywire roughly the diameter of a pencil.

I honestly cant remember having lost a fish where another one has taken the swivel so the risk cant be that great unless there are hordes of rats and mice about.
    Agreed 100%
    Though I use 20lb maxima instead of flouro (far easier to get when youve been stuck in bots for a while )

On the going wireless front, what people miss is that this is a tropy tecnique.
    It is only really suited to prowling dropoffs and sand banks for lunkers.
    Your average scrapper had teeth that interlock too well and they will almost cetainly nip you off. (no ifs and or butts They can even nip though 80lb braid without the slightest hastle) With #4 piano wire you arent going overkill on the wire front but still have the requisite protection, and unless you are specifically targeting trophies it holds no significant disadvantages over going wireless.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast