Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Habits and characteristics of the fish you target

Default Habits and characteristics of the fish you target

Thru the last couple of years, I have had a lot of interaction with a very broad spectrum of fly fishers.

A very general question I often ask is "Do you know the habits, characteristics etc of the fish you are targeting? When they feed, how do they take, where they hold, where do they go when spooked, how do they run when hooked, etc. etc."

It is amazing how little is know about certain species.

I thought it will be great for all of us, to expand a bit on our general knowledge. Fresh and saltwater, warm and cold. Rainbow, brownies, SM, LM, GT's, any fish you can think of.

the more you know of a fish, the easier it is to target.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

To me this is more complex
    How would you structure this tread?
    As water temperature time of year time of day all have a influence.
    Do we just mix salt and fresh water
    Do we state that there could be same habbits for river and SM yellows at certain time of year or most of the time.?

Default Goldfish in garden ponds

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Thru the last couple of years, I have had a lot of interaction with a very broad spectrum of fly fishers.

A very general question I often ask is "Do you know the habits, characteristics etc of the fish you are targeting? When they feed, how do they take, where they hold, where do they go when spooked, how do they run when hooked, etc. etc."

I thought it will be great for all of us, to expand a bit on our general knowledge. Fresh and saltwater, warm and cold. Rainbow, brownies, SM, LM, GT's, any fish you can think of.

Targeting goldfish in garden ponds is a guilty indulgence of mine

Although much is said about their 3 second memory it has been proven that goldfish form complex social structures and display in group and out group behaviour, with dominant fish changing on a regular basis.

As they are such social fish the best time to target them is when they are shoaling. Solitary fish who are roaming about on their own in search of food are more likely to inspect your offerings with a critical eye, but shoals tend to scrap over who gets their first.

From an activity standpoint, although you can target them all ear round, they are far more lethargic in winter, preffering to eat detritus and such in deeper water (75cm + where possible) rather than actively forrage about in the shallows. With the prime times of year being the transition seasons, before it starts getting too hot in summer. (Though if your pond is well shaded you can target them confidently throughout summer)

For the most part very few goldfish are "wild" in any sense of the word, so a reasonable pellet imitation is almost always your go-to fly. I find it poor sport to chum for them first, but this is ofcourse a possibility, so your best times would be when they expect to be fed. (As they are such social creatures they seem to adapt rather quickly to a feeding routine.) I have found that in smaller ponds where they dont exceed 15cm something in a #24 klinky in either green or red (dependinng on the pellet mix they get fed) works well, as it is small enough to fit in their mouths and quick to tie and frankly I cant spin deerhair well on a #24. You need to be fairly innovative though, as word of deception seems to spread quite quickly in a pond and you'll likely only be able to get 4 fish before needing to change your pattern, but the same basic idea with a few color variants is all thats needed.

Lastly because they associate people with food (if fed regularly) they will not be even remotely spooky the first few times. Once the realisation that people = danger sets in, thats where stealth is required. Ive found that using the natural cover your garden provides and keeping low to your lawn/decking allows you to get in quite close, but then implement a hand cast rather than use a rod to cover the water. (Though the tip section of a rod does work)
    As they tend to flop around on the surface when hooked, the fight isnt really a concern and 8x tippet could even be considered overkill.

Night fishing for them is a possibility if they are routinely fed at night, though a light above the pond is prefferable.

So there we go! I wish you all luck with any future goldfish endevors!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by markdej; 27-01-12 at 03:30 PM.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

hahahhahahaha mark you are a write off hahaahah!!

getting worried about that pond you building in your garden.. gold fish farming hey lol
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

10/10 ha ha ha
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post

Korrie, a very good thread here.
    Mostly ff for trout and bass in stillwaters I have found.
    Not much difference in trout or bass behaviour. Both and I can say for most fish is that they cover themselves proptly, sticking to food chains, yet they have protection water nearby. Thus moon phrases and weather fronts dictate catching abilities as well.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Korrie, about 6 - 7 years ago Chris Shelton posted one of the best pieces of advice I have ever seen on this forum.
    It was simply " Know your target ".

This applies to all forms of hunting, be it fish, animals or humans.

Taking his advice I devoured anything I could find on f/f for SM on the Vaal. Bill Hansford Steele's book was my first reference, followed up by asking questions, lots of questions.

In short " DO YOUR HOMEWORK ". It pays off
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    This applies to all forms of hunting, be it fish, animals or humans.
    We should not talk of those days Herman, will get us in front of the truths commission
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Blog Entries

All these strange underlying comment Vern...why don't you just say what is on your heart...I am sure your click will listen to you...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    All these strange underlying comment Vern...whuy don't you just say what what is on your heart...I am sure your click will listen to you...
    I prefer peace Shammers, besides having much more fun reading the ff related stuff. Lot's of good info from back in 2008

PS: You're not part of the click
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast