Thread: Fishing the Karee spruit.

Default Fishing the Karee spruit.

Hi Guys,

I will be fishing the Karee Spruit in Brits this Sunday. The owner of the farm I am going to has indicated to me that there is some big Barbel in the spruit on the property.

What flies would you recommend for the river?
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Popping head and a big, dark fly below between 20 and 80cm below it depending on what the fish are doing.

The fly honestly isnt that important as long as it sinks very slowly, lands with a bit of a "splat" and has a crap load of movement. Something like a #2/0 black zonker, with the zonker palmered forward over a red/orange yarn underbody for a bit of contrast is ideal.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Popping head and a big, dark fly below between 20 and 80cm below it depending on what the fish are doing.

The fly honestly isnt that important as long as it sinks very slowly, lands with a bit of a "splat" and has a crap load of movement. Something like a #2/0 black zonker, with the zonker palmered forward over a red/orange yarn underbody for a bit of contrast is ideal.
    Thank you Jock0, will report back on Monday as to how it went
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Hi Guys,

I will be fishing the Karee Spruit in Brits this Sunday. The owner of the farm I am going to has indicated to me that there is some big Barbel in the spruit on the property.

What flies would you recommend for the river?
    I tie an awesome fly for barbel, a bit difficult to explain though! Isn't there Largescale in the Karee?

I don't know Pipe, I am just going on what the owner has told me. There might very well be Large scale. Sunday will reveal all.

Post a picture of the fly
    Frederick

Blog Entries

I solder two hooks together, then tie in two zonker strips as legs, and tie the body like a mrs simpson. I use the fly with the calling method. It should definitely have largescales!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    I solder two hooks together, then tie in two zonker strips as legs, and tie the body like a mrs simpson. I use the fly with the calling method. It should definitely have largescales!
    hey pipe, sounds very interesting. got any pics?

i imagine it to look like a frog popper with two hooks and legs, but i have no idea what a mrs simpson. if i use google images with safesearch off, i imagine i'll get more than my fair share of dodgy pics of mrs simpson!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeeCee View Post
    hey pipe, sounds very interesting. got any pics?

i imagine it to look like a frog popper with two hooks and legs, but i have no idea what a mrs simpson. if i use google images with safesearch off, i imagine i'll get more than my fair share of dodgy pics of mrs simpson!!!
    Sorry I have no pics