Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What specie is this?

Default What specie is this?

Can someone please tell me what specie this is? I caught it in the Breede river near Swellendam. Is it some kind of Tilapia, or Bluegill maybe?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bluegill.
    see the little blue spot gill plate.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

Bluegill fun to catch! The little spot is a flap on the gill, some people confuse Vleikurper with them cause they have a spot on the gill!

Yup Bluegill. It's an American fish introduced to SA as a fodder fish for Bass Dams. It's a bit of a pest. It breeds to such an extent that it exceeds the carrying capacity of the dam and then almost the entire population dies.

We have them in all the farm dams (and even in the swimming pool) to prevent mosquitos from breeding. Not even the local poachers are able to keep the populations under control.

Great fun on a light rod. I've even considered getting a 0wt just to use on the farm dams. They love small, unweighted nymphs twiched just below the surface. They will ignore a fly that sinks to the bottom. I big specimen (20cm+) will take woolly buggers or zonkers and then will give a hell of a fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegill
    Interesting read.

In some rivers, the bluegill is a greater pest to the local fish population than bass i.e. Groot, Doring etc in terms of the Clanwillima Yellows, where they eat the eggs and small fry.
    They have a voracious appetite, as mentioned, even small fish will attack large zonkers and wooly buggers,
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Dryfly fishing for bluegill really messes up your trout fishing. They are able to ingest and expel a fly so fast that you have to start your strike almost before the fish has your fly. At first you miss most of them, but eventually you get the feel of it.

They love flies with a hot spot, particularly red.

Something simple like this in 16 or 18 usually does the trick. Twitch it just below the surface.

Bluegill soft hackle 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Yup Bluegill.

We have them in all the farm dams (and even in the swimming pool) to prevent mosquitos from breeding. Not even the local poachers are able to keep the populations under control.
    hmmm - sounds like pretty hectic breeding. no more breeding like rabbits, now its breeding like bluegills!!!

question - if i happened to catch some bluegill or small kurper and kept them, would they survive in my garden pond. its a bit of mosquito breeding ground (understatement). i would love to have a natural way to control those mosquito's, as apposed to a chemical method.

thx
    vaughn
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Yes Bluegill would survive as long as there was water movement. They'll live anywhere that bass do.

BUT...

If there are no bluegill in your area already PLEASE don't go spreading them around the country. They really are a dangerous invader. They may easily do irrepairable (sp?) damage to an indigenous fish or insect population. The only reason I happily have them on the farm is that all the dams and rivers here are already infested with them.

They can be good fun on light tackle. We get them with small unweighted nymphs under strike indicator/dry fly, fished static.

Here's a pretty decent one i got at the old Bottelary dam:

"So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast