Thread: Yellowfish ID??

Blog Entries

Default Yellowfish ID??

Hi Guys,

I have had this bother me for awhile... I have caught what i thought are natal yellowfish in the Bushmans River and another river near Melmoth.. now the areas are very different and the fish look very different so I'm not sure if they are both Scallies??

any help??

This one is a scallie from the bushmans river

but this one I'm not so sure.. the scales are smaller, colour is different and the shape is different...
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 06-02-12 at 06:19 PM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

The first is a Middle Bek and the last a Bottom Bek or maybe it's a Clanwilliam Largemouth Yellow that wanted to spend some time on the beach at Durbs. Does look a bit pale to me though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    The first is a Middle Bek and the last a Bottom Bek or maybe it's a Clanwilliam Largemouth Yellow that wanted to spend some time on the beach at Durbs. Does look a bit pale to me though.
    Lol I think i might have found a new species!! anyone wanting to visit this river from now on called yellowriv-x give me a shout

here is a close up...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.flyordie.co.za

Blog Entries

Check if this will answer your question.
    Natal Yellowfish

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Check if this will answer your question.
    Natal Yellowfish
    Thanks!!

Well I just registered on that site, cant see the photos yet (pending approval). But from the one you posted and the description on that thread

"KZN Yellowfish are a beautiful yellow-silver coloured, streamlined fish with large pectoral fins and a large tail built for speed and manoeuvrability (note the picture below of prominent large pectoral, anal & dorsal fins on a smaller fish). It has an almost bow-shaped dorsal area and torpedo-shaped body"

Makes me sure the first one on here is a Scaly, but makes me more doubtful about the second. It has smaller fins, the mouth is different, scales are smaller, colour is different although it has the same body shape. I'm confused, could it just be the water conditions that changed the traits a bit?
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 06-02-12 at 08:09 PM.
    www.flyordie.co.za

Here is the 10 species of Yellow. I will have to put a better pic for you guys sometime but just to get an idea of locations of species.

But like ET says it could have been Clanwilliam largie seeking a suntan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help guys, I looked at other photos of our trip to Melmoth and the other fish look more like scallies. They are all more silver than goldish, but i think that it's just the water conditions. Plus looking at the map Stones provided, there aint no possibility of it being another species unless its been put there. Which is possible i might add, seeing as some of the dams have Nembwe in!!! but i hope its not the case
    www.flyordie.co.za

FlyFanatic Banned User

This is very interesting!

Always amazes me at how many "yellowfish" alike species are found all over the world, mahseer (india), rhinofish (north africa), barbel (uk).

Guess that puts an end to any doubts if the continents were joined together at one stage!

Maybe what we get in SA is also remenant of those periods? Who knows, there might be some long lost genes of the mahseer living in some of the orange river yellowfish!