Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The most difficult fish to catch on fly in SA

Blog Entries

Wink Mullet not too difficult

Hi Guys, Caught 2 mullet of some 35 cm in the Palmiet estuary fishing blind recently. Small, size 8, grey beadhead fly with white tifts from zonker strip for the tail. Trailed behind a small clouser or surf candy. I will say grunter much more challenging. Niel

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Malan View Post
    Hi Guys, Caught 2 mullet of some 35 cm in the Palmiet estuary fishing blind recently. Small, size 8, grey beadhead fly with white tifts from zonker strip for the tail. Trailed behind a small clouser or surf candy. I will say grunter much more challenging. Niel
    Can you post a pic of that fly that you caught it on.

The rainbows below junction pool on Smalblaar 6 during a size 30 gogga hatch.

Seriously though, in my view a selective grunter takes the prize.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    The rainbows below junction pool on Smalblaar 6 during a size 30 gogga hatch.

Seriously though, in my view a selective grunter takes the prize.

Yep without doubt......

After that trying to catch a bloddy Witfish
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

I have been trying her in Knynsa without success, without chumming. I have tied a amphiopod fly, but they did not seem interested in it. One tip I got but have not tried i to dip the fly in fish oil. A youngster caught three one day using a white salty bugger.
    How ever the general talk is that there are only a few guys around here that have managed to catch them regularly.
    I have tried many flies that have been suggested for mullet. I even casted towards schools of thousand over a period of 3 -4 hours without a take.
    So I am all ears to any concrete advise as it will be great fun hooking into a few big ones.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

In freshwater I would say tench (although I haven't targeted carp yet and I've heard they are more difficult)

Otherwise saltwater is anything. There is no saltwater fish that eats a fly . As far as I'm concerned all those photos were caught on conventional tackle and then it is posed with a fly rod .
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Actually I gotta say that the only saltwater fish I've caught on fly was a mullet that wasn't chummed and not sight cast to. Go figure. I don't get it.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Actually I gotta say that the only saltwater fish I've caught on fly was a mullet that wasn't chummed and not sight cast to. Go figure. I don't get it.
    Mt only fish in the salt is is a small leery and smallish elf but im gonna try for those elusive fish this weekend weather permiting and also for that grunter.

Attie one of my friends caught a 49cm grunter on a flipper this past weekend and he had 5 more strikes on the flipper that all from grunter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12