Thread: FCLoretz's fishing diary

Default FCLoretz's fishing diary

This particular thread is a nice way to keep all my fishing journeys together. It will contain catch reports, flies, gear and friends along the way.

Here is the first entry into my diary:

I was in Bloemfontein over the weekend and had the opportunity to fish with John(corefly). I need to say from the beginning that John was an excellent guide. We went and targeted Barbel.

We were on the water by about 7:30. There was loads of activity on the water, with loads of barbel rising as went along. We fished with a JM platanna. We had no takers on the JM platanna. We then switced to a Popper-Dropper setup. It is basically a Popper with a JM platanna trailing behind the dropper by 20-40cm.

The wind was on and off during the day. It was only after switching our setups that John was into a fish first, it came undone very quickly unfortunately. 2 casts later I was on. 2 minutes later I landed my first barbel on fly

We moved to a around the river some more with no luck.

We then proceeded back to the car, loaded the boat and moved to another spot.

John moved around a bend and was trying to spot a few rises with no luck. I moved further into the bay towards the river, where John was fishing. As I came round the bend John was hooked into a proper barbel. He had some difficulty with his backing(it got tangled). I dropped my rod and tried to assist him. he fought the barbel for about 10min and landed a beaut of about 10kg's

John landed another 2 barbel , one being pregnant. We relocated to another spot. After the 4th cast i was into my second barbel for the day, the second barbel took the fly very subtle.

3 minutes later I was a very happy fisherman

We then packed up and went home. Count for the day.

John x 3 barbel, 1 x barbel lost
    Frederick x 2 barbel

In my opinion, if anyone visits Bloemfontein. try and get a days fishing in with John. He is a great guide and knows his Barbel.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Nice going Freddy, I told you jigging works pappa!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Nice going Freddy, I told you jigging works pappa!
    Ja thanks for the email and the jig flies!!! they were the bom
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Was great fishing with you.Pity about the wind and especially water temps been so cold after the rains.Next time we will make up.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Was great fishing with you.Pity about the wind and especially water temps been so cold after the rains.Next time we will make up.
    We will definately do so. I went to the braai afterwards and the guys there couldn't believe that we caught the barbel on fly.
    Frederick

Well done Frederick, nice going there.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Good going Frederick.

Well done John, a gentleman as always.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659