Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commercial fish farming

Default Commercial fish farming

I've been offered the opportunity to start a commercial fishery in the North West province.

My choices looks like it will be Catfish or Tilapia although I'm rather leaning towards Tilapia. It is a 6ha piece of land and I have free reign ito dams to be built etc. There is enough water and no river run offs so river "contamination" of the species is not a problem.

I have some experience and knowledge of commercial Koi farming and ornamental fish farming but this might be an entirely different kettle of fish (pun intended)

Anyone got experience in this or can point me in the right direction?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Actually bass would also be an option but not sure if it is a viable one
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Two forum members with such experience: Fontuin and Stephen Louw
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Werner, my nephew did his PhD in fishfarming Catfish. They are apparently the most viable specie.

Google Louw (or Louwtjie ) Hoffman. ( We have not been in contact for over 20 years . )

There is or was a commercial operation just outside Hoedspruit, I made a turn there once. Very interesting indeed.Again the focus was on Catfish, smoked.
    Every gram he could produce was exported to the States or Japan.
    He also did Tilapia and Bass, the Tilapia for the locals, and bass for sale as fingerlings.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Thanks Herman, that's great to know. I'll try and track him down.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    I've been offered the opportunity to start a commercial fishery in the North West province.

My choices looks like it will be Catfish or Tilapia although I'm rather leaning towards Tilapia. It is a 6ha piece of land and I have free reign ito dams to be built etc. There is enough water and no river run offs so river "contamination" of the species is not a problem.

I have some experience and knowledge of commercial Koi farming and ornamental fish farming but this might be an entirely different kettle of fish (pun intended)

Anyone got experience in this or can point me in the right direction?
    Sounds good, good luck with your endeavour... as long as its not Asian carp...

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

Werner, somehow i think you are gonna fish more than farm.

great place to test out all those new flies
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

sometimes you can mix work and play?!

sounds very interesting though, good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Werner, somehow i think you are gonna fish more than farm.

great place to test out all those new flies
    Frederick you are probably right but since I have to wait for the fish to grow I might as well fish and test sizes

Looks like I'm going to start off with two dams. Tilapia grows very fast and I'll have some good fishing within 6 months. Will start development in about 45 days if all goes well.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Werner, my nephew did his PhD in fishfarming Catfish. They are apparently the most viable specie.

Google Louw (or Louwtjie ) Hoffman. ( We have not been in contact for over 20 years . )

There is or was a commercial operation just outside Hoedspruit, I made a turn there once. Very interesting indeed.Again the focus was on Catfish, smoked.
    Every gram he could produce was exported to the States or Japan.
    He also did Tilapia and Bass, the Tilapia for the locals, and bass for sale as fingerlings.
    Ja Herman I have also read about this high demand in catfish, they breed some sort of an "albino" pink catfish which they export to the asian markets. Also locally, from what I heard it makes a very good substitute to some "deep sea linefish" to the inexperienced vaalie..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast