Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon fly fishing and Madagascar

Default Honeymoon fly fishing and Madagascar

Hi all,

So I'm doing a little research on fly fishing destinations for my honeymoon (yes, I have permission). Initial ideas were Tanzania and Mauritius but it seems the fishing from shore on both is not great with guides and boats being the only real options? It also seems that the shoreline has generally been overfished by the locals, especially in the more popular areas.

We then somehow ended up on Madagascar and I get the feeling that the fishing here is a little better from the shore (non guided). Is this true? I'm talking specifically on the smaller islands, not from the mainland.

Over and above this, does anyone have any recommended honeymoon venues where I can fish from the shore in the mornings while the wife sleeps in?

Thanks
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Blog Entries

I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    Hi all,

So I'm doing a little research on fly fishing destinations for my honeymoon (yes, I have permission). Initial ideas were Tanzania and Mauritius but it seems the fishing from shore on both is not great with guides and boats being the only real options? It also seems that the shoreline has generally been overfished by the locals, especially in the more popular areas.

We then somehow ended up on Madagascar and I get the feeling that the fishing here is a little better from the shore (non guided). Is this true? I'm talking specifically on the smaller islands, not from the mainland.

Over and above this, does anyone have any recommended honeymoon venues where I can fish from the shore in the mornings while the wife sleeps in?

Thanks
    Jislaaik, your fiance loves you to bits ( very impressed...)! If no-one replies (but I think you'll get a few), just Google it... Where-ever there is a long stretch of shallow reef with a decent drop off there must be quarry around... My 2c's...

Regards and enjoy.
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

Fantastic, Where ever you choose, before actually booking just confirm and make sure with the lodge or resort itself that you are allowed to fish from THEIR beaches. There are some places that advertise fishing, but don’t tell you that you have to book a charter or be taken to another reef or beach. Many of the resorts don’t allow any form of fishing from their beaches. I know in Maldives all the resort islands are protected areas and they make it very clear once there that you will receive a 10000 US $ fine if caught, the only way is booking a charter that costs 600US$ for the day.
    But i am sure someone must know of a romantic, 4-5 star island destination that allows fishing from their beaches. Let us know when you do find something that fits this description.

How about a small houseboat on Kariba, nothing can beat that! You can go on the tender in the mornings while wifey sleeps late, but she'd probably end up joining you... Mix that with a few days at Mana Pools and you have a honeymoon to remember

Then also Benguerra Lodge or Nyati near Vilanculous, expensive but at both resorts you can cast a line in front of the lodge
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Wazzy, we had our honeymoon in the Seychelles on Praslin Island a couple of years ago. We stayed at the Coco de Mer hotel, which allowed my wife to have the romatic and idillic honeymoon venue PLUS great fiishing for myself in my favorite place on this planet.

Great self guide options all around. You can get a mountain bike from the hotel and cycle to some great flats nearby. I got some Bones, barracuda, lots of small snapper, permit, swifts and Golden/greenspot/GT/yellowspot Kingfish. No monster fish, but great fun on the 8wt.

We have been back a couple of times since then.

http://www.cocodemer.com/
    btw the hotel is owned by the Labuscagne family - 'ex' Saffas

Hey Waz,

If it were me, I would stick to our upper North coast (Vidal and the likes), Mozambique (Guinjata Bay, Inhaca Island Resort), Zanzibar (but Pemba Island only), Kenya (there are some nice places) or evan Angola (the warm current section). I wouldnt waste my money on the popular upper African Islands, overated, overpriced and fish less. All depends on your budget?

My 2c, use it dont use it.

Thanks guys. Some great ideas so far. Plus I didn't know about certain hotels/etc not allowing you to fish on their private beaches. FAIL! Guess this also brings me to wonder if any of these countries require licenses? Guess I'll find out once I've chosen a venue.

As for Madagascar...we'd being sailing from island to island in the Mozambican channel so hopefully the fishing would be good. They do advertise fly fishing from the beach as one of the activities. But then that is advertising
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Seychelles! Pralin Island, the way to go. Same prices basically as Mauritius/Tanzania, but the fishing is 10000 times better!

Just to add a little more information, I'll be going in June. Is that the off season for any of the above? I know in Durban summer is far better, but with the warmer water up there I'm hoping things are different?
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast