Thread: Tiger advice needed

Default Tiger advice needed

The wife is spoiling me with four nights at Royal Chundu in March. It is located 50km above Vic Falls, and obviously some fishing will be taking place

Any advice on general tackle and flies to take? I'm assuming an 8wt with a fast sinking line will be the order of the day? I'll be packing light so one fly rod and one spinning rod is all there'll be room for.

Thanks in advance

March isnt the best of time, the water up there will be very high and murky, but I'd far rather be fishing there than not, so you'll just have to adjust

The 8 is pretty spot on but I'd take an intermediate as well for fishing in pools and eddies. A sink tip, rather than full sinker is actually preferable as you're in better contact with your flies when you first start retrieving.

Fly wise you're looking at covering two bases:
    1. Small size 2 and 4 bugger type flies fished with your choice of 15-20lb mono/floro for the smaller guys. Piano wire really seems to bugger up the action of the smaller flies in the water so you'll probably lose a few fish but get more strikes. You'll also pick up some of the bream species on these flies if you cast them into bank side structure like you would for bass. I'd go for combo's in white/silver, olive, gold/black and straight black as the water will be pretty murky.

2. Bigger clousers (dont make the eyes to heavy) and brush flies, size 4/0 gama b10s's, 15cm of #4 piano wire and a #10 power swivel for the bigger fish. Same colours as above but make the clousers sparse to sink quickly in the current and the brush flies bushy to push maximum water - sure you know this already though...

Fishing the rapids is normally the most productive there but the conditions might be against you so fish where the water looks fishy!

Failing that throw some copper efzets, the ones with the little red tags, or swim a few bream liveys

Edit - Having read what I wrote above I'm pretty sure you actually know all of this and are just posting to rub it in...
    Check your knots!

An 8 for tigers in that kind of setting may not be quite enough.
    Tigers are pretty large and dangerous when wounded. they have a ferocious temper and should not be handled during release.

from what i've heard, a live goat or sheep would be a good bait. ensure it has lots of movement and that it keeps calling loudly.

otherwise, i know not of the area Graham. have fun and give us a report
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    March isnt the best of time, the water up there will be very high and murky, but I'd far rather be fishing there than not, so you'll just have to adjust

The 8 is pretty spot on but I'd take an intermediate as well for fishing in pools and eddies. A sink tip, rather than full sinker is actually preferable as you're in better contact with your flies when you first start retrieving.

Fly wise you're looking at covering two bases:
    1. Small size 2 and 4 bugger type flies fished with your choice of 15-20lb mono/floro for the smaller guys. Piano wire really seems to bugger up the action of the smaller flies in the water so you'll probably lose a few fish but get more strikes. You'll also pick up some of the bream species on these flies if you cast them into bank side structure like you would for bass. I'd go for combo's in white/silver, olive, gold/black and straight black as the water will be pretty murky.

2. Bigger clousers (dont make the eyes to heavy) and brush flies, size 4/0 gama b10s's, 15cm of #4 piano wire and a #10 power swivel for the bigger fish. Same colours as above but make the clousers sparse to sink quickly in the current and the brush flies bushy to push maximum water - sure you know this already though...

Fishing the rapids is normally the most productive there but the conditions might be against you so fish where the water looks fishy!

Failing that throw some copper efzets, the ones with the little red tags, or swim a few bream liveys

Edit - Having read what I wrote above I'm pretty sure you actually know all of this and are just posting to rub it in...
    Thanks Dave. That's very helpful, especially the part about the buggers. Wouldn't have thought to pack those The river is 1km wide where we will be, so I'm sure I'll find some calmer sections to have a flick in.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    An 8 for tigers in that kind of setting may not be quite enough.
    Tigers are pretty large and dangerous when wounded. they have a ferocious temper and should not be handled during release.

from what i've heard, a live goat or sheep would be a good bait. ensure it has lots of movement and that it keeps calling loudly.

otherwise, i know not of the area Graham. have fun and give us a report
    It's dry. But you can drink it.

Tigers? In Africa? Eish!

Ask Jack Russel for some advice.

It will be high, but you will definately be able to find some fish. When all else fails, get the guides to find you some bulldogs and do the driftbait thing and you should then definately come right!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    It will be high, but you will definately be able to find some fish. When all else fails, get the guides to find you some bulldogs and do the driftbait thing and you should then definately come right!
    Driftbait thing, floating or intermediate???? or sink tip.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Samed as the effzett
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Samed as the effzett
    effzet you are saying works, go for it.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.