Thread: Fly fishing in London

Default Fly fishing in London

Fly fishing in London
    Before we begin, I can’t stress enough how important it is to have an Environmental Agency Fishing licence. My first year of fishing the UK I bought one, and I never got checked. The next year I didn’t bother and got nailed, £200 fine and it went to court…they don’t play around here…You can buy the licence online or at any post office. If you out for only a day, then get the daily licence.
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/counter-...ishing-licence

Still waters:
    There are three main still waters I fish:
    1. Syon Park- Stocked fish with a keep all you catch policy, fish fight well and its convenient to get to. Pretty location and if you fish a cats whisker you should get a fish or two. They often stock a trophy fish in, I’ve seen one of close on 20lb’s come out…seriously long fight. http://www.alburyestate.com/syon.aspx
    2. Halliford Meres – This estate has four lakes, three for trout and one for Pike. In summer you can stalk around and sight fish, the trout are not easy to catch but give you a fantastic account of themselves…I like to use small bright orange bead headed cats whiskers for stalking and small natural imitations for general work. PTN’s work very well. Apps blood worms do very well in March/April. Size 10 Montana nymph can be fish year round. Brian the fishery manager is very helpful and a great guy. Halliford is affordable at £20 for a days fishing, catch and release, you can also go for Pike on this day ticket. http://www.hallifordmere.co.uk/flyfishing.asp
    3. Walthamstow Reservoir – North London, this is a massive reservoir so get out the big guns…min 7 weight 10ft outfit with a rocket taper floating for summer and autumn. Autumn has great sport with sticklebacks being hammered, so any zonker flies will work, move around to find the fish. Winter is hard going, you freeze and you need to use fast sinking lines with Booby flies. Black and green have worked well for me. http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde...s.xsl/6253.htm

Rivers: Course closed season 15 march to 15 June
    http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ing/37951.aspx
    1. The Wandle- Chalk Stream SW London. I have fished the river a number of times but yet to get a trout. They are in there and I have seen a brute of a brownie come out on a maggot. Waders are essential and the stretch near Sainsbury’s has got trout, Summer time and late in the evening fishing small sedge flies. Free to fish with an EA fishing license.
    2. The Hoggsmille…yes there is another river and it is also a chalk stream…I’ve kept this under my hat for a few years but feel it’s worth a mention. Surbiton/Kingston area. It has a fantastic stretch just above Kingston University, the Chubb are very big for this stream and my best of 5lb’s on a 2 weight was great fun. PM me for more details. Free to fish with an EA licence. However you cannot fish the section in front of Kingston Police station…pity as there are some brutes!
    3. Thames- The non-tidal sections have big pike, rumours of salmon and sea trout. I’m currently exploring the river.

I have fished Wales and some of the better still waters further out of London. If you need info just ask and I’ll pass on!

Tight lines and I hope this was helpful!
    Cheers!
    DizzyG
    Amat Victoria Curam

A fantastic report DizzyG. Thank you very much.

Never having been to London, I would never have thought that there was fishing on your doorstep.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

awesome reort dizzyg. thanks for the info. will definitely look you up if i happen to go to the dark side of the world
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Thanks for the report

next time I am in London I will have to have a look

When I go there I stay in St.Johns wood (zone 2) so I hope I can take the tube to get to some good fishing spots

Good morning DizzyG,

thanks for the info, welcome to the forum.

I was considering wading the Wandle but unfortunately i got sick so may give it a go this summer, how did you find the weed at Halliford? I am keen to try for there for Pike.
    I have been scouting the Regents Canal in NW London that look great for pike, problem are the trolleys and other rubbish. Pedestrians don't are not keen on the flyfising or cycling, I got moaned at just for walking with a rod and for pushing my mountain bike around.

e

Hi SpongeBob,

Your best bet will be Walthamstow Reservoir, from St John Wood take the Jubilee line south bound and change at Green park, take the Victoria line North Bound and jump off at Tottenham Hale (Zone 4 i think) come out the station and walk up the hill, once you go over the river the fishery office will be on your right hand side. Take cash as you have to fill out a card and drop the money into a slot. Some of the guys are friendly but in London you get a real mix of personalities! Part of the experience!

Hi Rockspider,

Yes "Urban" fishing has its challenges, don't give up though, make sure you allowed to fish there first, if so, you perfectly in your right to fish...

Weed at Halliford can be a pain at certain times of the year. Currently Brian is allowing Pike fishing on all four lakes. He does check your setup though so get some descent pike flies, the pink bunny has been working well, along with some big zonkers. During winter always call in the morning before heading out, Halliford tends to freeze over quite easily. His cell number is on the website.

Cheers!
    Amat Victoria Curam

Looking forward to fishing the test in a few weeks, I just hope it warms up!
    Will report if it goes well
    here's hoping to catching some grayling

I tend to be paranoid about fishing legally, as you say you get a real mix of personalities here. A pregnant lady shouted at me one sunday for pushing my bike along a canal, something along the lines of i should not be putting her baby in danger! wtf?

just smile and wave