Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pollution? Vaal Barrage

Thumbs down Pollution? Vaal Barrage

http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuu...n-mat-20120223

Anger over 'green carpet'
    2012-02-23 22:19

Mr. Thomas du Toit looks at the algae in the Vaal River Barrage for more than two weeks into the water. Photo: Johann Tempelhoff

Elise Tempelhoff

Homeowners with Miljoenęrsdraai (Millionaire's Bend) is furious at the department of water affairs as the Vaal River 10 miles away, close the Barragebrug as "a huge green carpet" look for sewage. 300 herds in the Free drink believe every day that sewage because no other fresh water in the area is. So Mr. Colin Diab, residents of this affluent neighborhood, this week in a letter to mr. Marius Keet, senior manager of water quality management in the department of water affairs, wrote. In Diab wrote: "... I speak for many angry and disappointed owners of houses along the Vaal River. " Some of the residents said the Vaal River Barrage is a "second Hartbeespoort Dam." Diab said Keet why his department is aware of blue green algae that their river "suffocate" no. He also wants to know why no warning signs along the river up to people from the toxic water warning. "Our house's value fell because it beside a sewage river is. This water - here at our Nquthu bypass - is sewage, no matter how many excuses you conceive. " Diab wrote a ski championship tournament in which representatives of 11 countries took part last weekend in the river held and none of the participants warned of the algae in the water. "Is not the department of water affairs duty for international participants we water enters to warn if it is dangerous?" Diab said everyone at the river is upset because the water birds also no clear drinking water. "Birds are not the Almighty created for sewage to drinking." Keet said after Diab's letter, the department once a team sent to investigate. The team should next week feedback give. According to Keet, more than 22 wastewater treatment works in the catchment area of the Barrage and not all functioning properly. about the warning signs Keet said it was not his department's mandate. "We warn people on an ad hoc basis. As the water now looks like it is obviously fatal to swim. " Mr. Greg Mulzack spokesman Rand Water said it was not their mandate to warn people not to the Vaal River water use. He stressed that water being's work. Diab said so are they also port to starboard and sent no one wants responsibility for the poison in the water accepted.

Ja as I was saying in the Vaalriver update thread pea soup!!!!!! Hope the flushing helps but doubt it.

mark Banned User

If nothing happens could you imagine what the river will be like in 10 years, about 2 weeks ago I saw some trucks dumping sewage in the river and useless officials just dont seem to do anything about it or just do not care!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    about 2 weeks ago I saw some trucks dumping sewage in the river and useless officials just dont seem to do anything about it or just do not care!!
    Hi Mark, have you reported this? did you get the trucks registration? was the truck marked? maybe you could supply Reveck with all this information and location.

Quote Originally Posted by Reveck Hariram View Post
    My name is Reveck Hariram and I have recently been appointed as the Senior Water Quality Advisor for the Vaal Dam Catchment at Rand Water.

Being a keen fly fisherman as well, I know that we all see or are made aware of activities that impact on the environment. I would like to appeal to all fly fishermen to contact me to report any of these occurrences on the Vaal River so that we may investigate and mitigate these problems and ensure the sustainability of the Vaal River System.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=8727

mark Banned User

No, they are just white trucks with no branding, but I have made a point of driving with a camera in the car now, they must be local so I am sure i will see they again and when I do I will take pictures of them and their registration plate.

0266395 Banned User

Default Pollution? Vaal Barrage

Facebook may be the way to go. But then one need photos and if possible a form if identification. If you can name the responsible municipality (and even better the municipal manager/mayor) and political party, it may be the only way to get a positive response. Expose them to the world! They don't respond to individual complaints. The only language they understand is the voice of the masses (demonstrations, toy-toying). Why not use technology to make public opinion herd. What about a photo of the municipal manager/mayor beside a photo of the polluted area? Not so easy but not impossible.
    Herman

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    If nothing happens could you imagine what the river will be like in 10 years, about 2 weeks ago I saw some trucks dumping sewage in the river and useless officials just dont seem to do anything about it or just do not care!!
    Which area or road?

The more people look out for them the better

mark Banned User

Just past Little Egypt and a few people have told me have seen the same thing in Three Rivers in the Klip River which is not the Vaal river but it all ends up in the Vaal.

Exclamation Warning

Got SMS from SAVE today

"Please note that we have been informed by Rand Water that the river is presently very polluted/contaminated and they advise us not to partake in any water activities until further notice. Regards, SAVE"

http://www.save.org.za/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    Got SMS from SAVE today

"Please note that we have been informed by Rand Water that the river is presently very polluted/contaminated and they advise us not to partake in any water activities until further notice. Regards, SAVE"

http://www.save.org.za/index.html
    Thanks Barend for posting this.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast