Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange River grasscarp

Default Lower Orange River grasscarp

Good morning
    I fished a section of lower Orange River yesterday and spend a little bit of time targeting grass carp. I did not know they occur here; only saw them for the first time on my last outing. I managed to get one to mouth a reed fly but missed it on the strike. What is a bit concerning is the rate at which they chomp the reeds. On the picture attached you will see the edges neatly trimmed by these fish (may not be clear on this pic) and it is evident throughout the whole section I fished. I definitely know it is them because I have sat and watch them chomping it.
    Makes one wonder what impact they will have on the system a few years down the line..

Cheers,
    B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Streamer fishing rules!

This is sad news of a specie present where it is not suppose to be.
    We will not beat them now (remove them from the river) It is to late.
    I predict that in a few years time this will be the ultimate fish to catch on fly. The freshwater milk or bone equivalent, that will smack you up big time.

Jannie

It is indeed sad. I know some guys fear that they will demolish aquatic insect life once the vegetation can't sustain them.
    I think they will be fun to catch. I made a presentation to a 25+lb fish yesterday. Would have been a good fight.
    Streamer fishing rules!

Kill those aliens! As far as I'm concerned. They have infested the Vaal dam, yellows are scarce there. Not long and they will do the sanme to the rivers!!
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Agreed. When I do catch one it will provide a nice meal for someone..
    Streamer fishing rules!

Hi Brian

I'm new to the forum, and I'm an afrikaans boertjie so bare with me please!

I lived in Upington from 1992 till 1998, moved to Bellville and moved back to Upington in 2009 and the reeds just took over in that period. Currently in the Upington-Keimoes-K@kamas region the reeds are out of control! With the floods of last year, some of them were coverd by sand and some ripped out, but only two months down the line and they were back. I know that in the Augrabies and Blouputs regions there's also a lot of reeds.

Me and my wife moved back to Worcester, so I'm not there anymore (enjoying the cape streams now!!), but from my point of view, I really don't think they will be a problem! There is just to many reeds and their growth rate is very high!!

So is that Chinese Investment for breeding Grass Carp below Gariep Dam still a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    So is that Chinese Investment for breeding Grass Carp below Gariep Dam still a myth?
    I was also wondering about that........still no answers.....very hush hush
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Yes, it is a myth, I haven't seen any of them in the upper Orange, I have seen them in the Vaal though, that is probably where they came from. They do not seem to do much damage to the weedbeds on the Vaal though?

These were taken at Christiana a couple of years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    Yes, it is a myth, I haven't seen any of them in the upper Orange, I have seen them in the Vaal though, that is probably where they came from. They do not seem to do much damage to the weedbeds on the Vaal though?

These were taken at Christiana a couple of years ago.
    It would be alot better if we had our very own indigenous fish, moggel ect. infested and destryoing weebeds, rather than an ugly cross eyed alien taking over and doing it.............kill the mofo's!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast