Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is insane

Default This is insane

Talk about polar opposites. Abel's Jeff Patterson thought he was going fly-fishing for carp last Friday - but he ended up catching a Great White shark instead!

Patterson, sales director at Abel Reels, had spent the previous day fishing makos and blues with Capt. Conway Bowman off the California coast. They'd had a good outing, but the duo planned to head inland the next day to sight-fish some carp. Things changed in the eleventh hour, though.

"The conditions were looking really good offshore again, so we decided to hit it one more time," Patterson said. "I was glad!"

You bet he was.

They slammed two more nice makos on fly that day(on a Scott 15-weight rod, matched with an Abel Super 13 and a RIO Leviathan line), along with a couple big blues. Then something caught Patterson's eye back in the chum slick.

Bowman teased up what they thought was an extremely big mako to within distance, and then Patterson delivered a foot-long Bob Deibel bonito pattern.

The shark promptly chomped the offering, turned his head and Patterson came tight.

"As soon as he realized he was hooked, he was off," Patterson said. "At least 275 yards. Conway wasn't comfortable with it being so far out, so for the first time in two days, we chased one of these sharks down."

After about 25 minutes, when it finally came boat side, they realized what they had.

"We had no idea until I managed to get its head out of the water and we saw those teeth," Patterson said, "Then Conway hollered, 'Oh my ***, it is a Great White!' We were carrying on like a couple little girls!"

Of course, targeting great whites is illegal and those that are caught incidentally must be immediately and carefully released. Patterson said while he was nervously eyeing those triangular choppers, Bowman executed what he termed "a perfect release."

"It was textbook," he said. "The shark was absolutely fine."

The catch is one of only a few Great Whites reportedly caught off the California coast with a fly rod and single-action fly reel. But Patterson's not worried about all that business.

"I don't want to lay claim to any of that," he said. "It was just a neat experience. We sat there for an hour afterwards giggling! My trip was already made after those makos, but this was really remarkable. It was almost otherworldly. Such an amazing creature - it had these big shoulders and a beautiful brownish color that turned into white on the belly. I'll never forget it."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up

Lucky for him he did not catch it in our waters or the guys on the forum would be crucifying him

I dont have a problem with people catching them as long as they are released unharmed, I have more of a problem with the great white cage diving, as most of them bait the water
    (thats my view any way)

Agree with u there Trevor.....besides u dont know what it is Till its Next to the boat.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

that is so true

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor28 View Post
    Of course, targeting great whites is illegal and those that are caught incidentally must be immediately and carefully released. Patterson said while he was nervously eyeing those triangular choppers, Bowman executed what he termed "a perfect release."

"It was textbook," he said. "The shark was absolutely fine."
    Yeah sure, what else are they going to say... "We really nailed that F!@#$ shark, ripped a piece of skin from its mouth, gave it a shot with an ore for good measure seeing that they have hunted some humans... we settled a few scores for humanity..." blah blah blah

"The shark was absolutely fine."

According to who? Did they dive in and follow it a few days and check for physical or maybe even mental damage...

Like Herman I am only playing devils advocate, but it is amazing how we [this forum] can prosecute certain people, activities, decisions... yet our own actions [not so fine always] are deemed to be OK, e.g.

We say nothing about the chemicals we put into our waterways, floatants, gel ,line coatings, split-shot [stil used by MANY], synthetics, line, etc. but we complain about pollution. We do not mention our carbon footprint traveling to and fro... etc. etc. etc.

--------------------------

Hey, awesome catch, thanx for posting, just saying, our paradigm is only what we allow it to be; what we deem 'OK'... so let us assume then that the shark was absolutely fine and we all dream and desire such a catch tonight
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Blog Entries

I,m sorry but has anyone actually read the article trevor posted or did you just look at the picture Please explain how you are going to pre -determine what ends up on the end of fly rod in an ocean...unless you are hunting within a shoal of a specific species even then theres a good chance you will catch a predator of the fish you are hunting,these guys first caught mako's!!how where they to know they where going to get a bloody great white????

Great catch, would have *** my pants but what a story to tell the kids
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I,m sorry but has anyone actually read the article trevor posted or did you just look at the picture Please explain how you are going to pre -determine what ends up on the end of fly rod in an ocean...unless you are hunting within a shoal of a specific species even then theres a good chance you will catch a predator of the fish you are hunting,these guys first caught mako's!!how where they to know they where going to get a bloody great white????

Great catch, would have *** my pants but what a story to tell the kids
    Nic, I have NO PROBLEM with them hooking it; it is the same as us 'accidentally' catching Largies, otherwise we will need to have a permit ito TOPS [good luck getting 1 of those]; I am just saying statements such as "The fish was released in perfect condition" is unfounded and actually BS; we tell ourselves that to be able to go to sleep as nature loving, caring, green FF folk.
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    Nic, I have NO PROBLEM with them hooking it; it is the same as us 'accidentally' catching Largies, otherwise we will need to have a permit ito TOPS [good luck getting 1 of those]; I am just saying statements such as "The fish was released in perfect condition" is unfounded and actually BS; we tell ourselves that to be able to go to sleep as nature loving, caring, green FF folk.
    Not going down this road will need popcorn and beer..........all i will say is as a fly fisherman i KNOW i am more conscientious than the average Joe bloggs when it comes to keeping our streams and rivers as pristine as possible as i am sure most of the ff on hear are.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

If the Great White goes extinct it will not be due to this interesting fly capture and release (even if it died after release.) It will be ENTIRELY DUE to longline fishing for sharks (shark fin soup) that goes on unabated across the globe killing thousands of sharks of all species every day.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast