Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLy Line Advice & Shooting Heads

Default FLy Line Advice & Shooting Heads

Hi Guys

im still new to this game after many years of rock&surf fishing so trying to get as much info as possible before I start spending

Ok so my question is... Im looking to buy the Airflo Ridge Intermediate line as im fishing mostly the surf for garrick and Elf.

NOw ive seen this Airflo Forty Plus Fly Line on YouTUbe ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15UZ39F4uOg ) and this oke casts a miiiiile with so much easy its unreal!! You get it in Float, Int and SInk.

This would obviously make life a litter easier but would that kind of line not hamper presentation in the rivers or estuaries. From what ive read etc, presentation is not so important in the surf as its with grunter and fresh water fish for instance.

Do I go for that line or would the normal inter line with a shooting head system be better?? Im not realy sure how this 'shooting head' works but any input would be much help as im still learning and got quite a way to go

IM still starting so two reels with both lines is at the moment not an option. So im basicly looking for the best bang for buck so to speak

oh ja, i got a 9wt reel and rod

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBMC View Post
    oh ja, i got a 9wt reel and rod
    And no flies!!!! LOL.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Jaja :-p

That is being sorted as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    And no flies!!!! LOL.
    Poppernel, maybe you can help me quick.. Shooting HEads, do they just attach to your flyline? Like say i got a normal Inter line< do i just attach the head and go?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBMC View Post
    Jaja :-p

That is being sorted as we speak
    Great that you are getting sorted, cant wait for your catch results.
    P.S. Best local guy here for the salt is Odie here as a forumer.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

cooool will go look him up

Yip im quite keen... Couple spots i just have to put a fly in

Mark A shooting Head is just a more agressive taper in a fly line
    for instance
    if a normal line has the weight distributed over 18 m piece the shooting head will have the same weight distributed over 9m with a thinner running line that "shoots"
    the older shooting heads had a connection point between the head and the running line the newer ones are intergrated (with some ugly welded ones inbetween)
    there are pro's and cons of both
    In estury fishing I usualy use a full WF line (nicer to cast and less tangles)
    and use the shooting heads for offshore work (very heavy and prone to hingeing but sink like a brick)

last thing i wouldnt go for the ridge there are way better lines avalible at possibly better prices
    the cortland 555,rio clouser tapers, jim teeny and SA lines are magic

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

ok Shot for the info Damage

Majority of my fishing will be surf but then also river mouths and lagoons but im still new to FF so you rate just a normal WF inter line would be better to get?

So a good line would be Cortland Precision Little Tunny - Clear Camo "All Water.

then for backing...just a normal suffix braid or is there something special to look at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast