Thread: Catching Mullet on Fly in the Surf

Talking Catching Mullet on Fly in the Surf

Hi guys..

im fairly new to the sport so some advice would be appreciated

Down on one of my favourite beaches to Rock&Surf fish are masssive shoals of Mullet trolling the holes right on the surfce..

Any advice on what flies and setup i could use to catch them.. The big fish have been miising in action so these little buggers would be good fun i rate

Know there are a few different ways to target them. The one that worked consistantly for me was to use a small nymph under an indicator dead drift. Just lead the shoal and keep in contact. If they take hold on an do not snatch the line. I have had many a fish break me off with the first run, until i learnt to let them go. Might just have been bad knot tying too. Hare's ear, pheasant tail, bloodworm, brassies and copper johns have proven themselves for me. Have heard about stripping a small clouser toward a shoal, which prompts the larger fish to chase the intruder away. But cannot say if it works as have never tried it.
    Really are one of my favourite and most frustrating fish to target with lighter gear! Don't expect too many hook-ups! Enjoy!
    If you work with monkeys you'll definitely slip on a banana peel!
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is AlWAYS through his fly!!

Thanks for the advice!! WIll go try it out and let you know

I once read that a white death works (although not for me - I have never caught one without involving bread or a throw net or both)

Howzit,

Cannot speak from experience, but I have heard and read you can chum them in with bread and use a bread fly... Check out the previous threads, it was discussed a few weeks back in detail.

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

I've chummed mullet with bread in estuaries a lot with great success but never tried it in the surf. Might work if it's very calm, otherwise the breakers will disperse the chum making it a bit tricky.

What I have done with mullet schools moving in open surging water is chase them (boat-based - but it may be possible on foot if they move along a beach) until the school pauses and mills around - moving mullet won't feed but at the very moment the school stops they usually all go briefly into feeding mode (you will see the white mouths opening as they mill around chomping stuff) and almost any small fly you put right into the middle of school will get eaten.
    Last edited by William Ewels; 28-02-12 at 08:43 PM.
    The highest form of existence is play.

I've read a couple articles about sand flea flies, both floating ones and sinking - fishing them using the dry and dropper method.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    I've chummed mullet with bread in estuaries a lot with great success but never tried it in the surf. Might work if it's very calm, otherwise the breakers will disperse the chum making it a bit tricky.

What I have done with mullet schools moving in open surging water is chase them (boat-based - but it may be possible on foot if they move along a beach) until the school pauses and mills around - moving mullet won't feed but at the very moment the school stops they usually all go briefly into feeding mode (you will see the white mouths opening as they mill around chomping stuff) and almost any small fly you put right into the middle of school will get eaten.
    Like................
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Mullett on fly is tricky at the best of times. But persistence and patience should reward you in time. keep us posted when you get lucky.
    Good luck
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"