Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass and dry flies.

Blog Entries

Bass feed actively in the early morning and late afternoon and into the evening. At these times they move into the shallows and hunt down prey like small fish. In the middle of the day, they are not as active but will sometimes still feed opportunistically. Mid day, I often catch larger bass on smaller flies.....It is the peanut theory. After a big meal, a bass can still eat smaller food items but will be reluctant to eat another big meal. Fish smaller. Bigger bass are also territorial and as such can be aggressive about there patch of turf. So you can aggravate them into eating sometimes....
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

Blog Entries

I also find that bass hunt egg laying dragonflies all day long and when they do, using a surface fly like a flipper or Chernobyl ant can work very well...
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

hi , guys ... very interesting thread going on here ....... ny1 else with some advice or tips relating to targeting Bass on a Dry ?

I've seen bass taking swallows in flight as they are trying to scoop water!!! Talk about fast food! I've had a lot of sucess with tiny poppers and boobies( always tie bass flies with wead gaurds). You should be able to chuck the fly onto a lily patch or water grass and slowly work it over the patch with twitch movements. Stop for about 30 sec every time you hit a gap between obsticles and let the fly just lie.

I have had sucess with beatles too.

seems like Bass dont Spit . They Swallow ..lol
    On a serious note . wat size beatles , boobies and poppers did u use ?

Thnks

Hit the water early and leave late. Target them with any dry, Dahlberg divers, Poppers, Mouse flies, Frogs, Grasshoppers. Don't be afraid to go big. In my art lure box I have a bait called a Zara Spook. Its about 5cm, 7cm and 12cm long and looks like and overgrown pencil, you fish it in a zig zag motion and its deadly, so if you are able to tie something similar and fish it in a similar way you should nail them. I have found that sometimes the popping/splashing of a popper will induce a follow but no strike, but a fly that just glides will be hammered.

Afternoons I tend to go fish subsurface and on the bottom.

Gear:
    Don't be afraid to hit the thick stuff, and to use a heavy rod. For example, when I fish the Bivane dam I fish with a 9wt, purely because the structure there is a mix of Timber and rocks and they get big there so you need the power to keep them out of it once hooked. Else a 7-8wt would do fine.
    The more complicated the structure the bigger the fish are. Also search for the lone piece of structure between the rest. Most of the time you'll find the bigger fish at this lone structure. You'll find bass in the strangest and thickest of places, I remember a 8 pounder I pulled out of a piece of water no bigger than a half a meter surrounded with grass and reeds. So expect the unexpected.
    Last edited by MR.GT; 15-10-12 at 11:45 AM.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Vis&Chips View Post
    seems like Bass dont Spit . They Swallow ..lol
    On a serious note . wat size beatles , boobies and poppers did u use ?

Thnks

Hahaha.....Fish sluts. In clear water go small and in dirty water go big!.

MR. GT says it all. Big bass, big flies/poppers/flies that move water/splash/spit. Thick sticks or lilly pads and dont forget shallow grassbeds.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12