Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vice Choice. Dynaking Vs Jay Vs Renzetti

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    How come the Barracuda is not on the list?

because the indexer is the top of the range
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

"If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

I think a vise is a personal thing, and any vise you buy, you will have to get used to it. They will all do the same thing basically, and your style of tying will also influence your vise purchase. I have chosen the Renzetti, rotary P2004, with pivot head, and elbow arm, simply because for dry fly tying, you can turn the fly any which way for anything, The pivot head is really usefull for tying flies with curved shank hooks, like bug caddis controls for example.It also doesn't have any brass fittings, which would tarnish and discolour, and the renzetti packs up nice and compact for travelling. It also has a very usefull clutch facility on the rotary arm, which comes in very handy for ribbing very small nymphs, and also for laying dubbing brushes evenly and I tie a lot with dubbing brushes. I don't think my vise is any better or any worse than any other vise, it's just that I am used to how it works, and am comfortable with it. If i was forced to convert to any other vise, I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to that one too.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    because the indexer is the top of the range
    In price maybe
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    In price maybe
    this is a horrid decision to make. The dyna king kicks everythings ass as far as big fish flies go. The Jvice has that local appeal and I respect the type of businessman J is. The renzetti is hot.

this is a horrid decision to make. The dyna king kicks everythings ass as far as big fish flies go. The Jvice has that local appeal and I respect the type of businessman J is. The renzetti is hot.
    Ask Jay to make you a hybrid Renz/Dyna vice - can't go wring then
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

For once I agree with Andre, get the Vice you think will fit you the best. You will learn to use and like it more than the others. For me the J vice was the choice and I'm not sorry about my choice. Jay has a very quick turn around time, great backup and makes a world class product. For me that and the great attachments made me choose the J vice. All the other vices mentioned are great (I've tied quite a bit on a couple of the Renzettis and they are awesome)but the J has the local flavour, support and that bit extra from a sa perspective imho.

The other thing is that I've heard stories of breaks on the Renzettis etc. but nothing like that with the J vice, just great feedback.

That's my 2 cents

Renzetti is so Sage.

(That of course is purely from an external perspective, being the proud owner of a sunrise vise )

To me it seems like you actually like the Dynaking or Jvice more, but because everyone raves about the "R", you feel pressured...
    Last edited by BenzoV; 14-03-12 at 02:57 PM.

At one Sage you need to move on and get over it Ben.

Default Vice

I bought a J vice in December and although not familliar with the others, the J vice is a pleasure to use. Having moved to KZN, there is the additional advantage of service around the corner...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast