Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margate

Default Margate

Going to Margate for a week. I know there is a thread on this already, but not much info there I'm afraid.

Anyone know if there is a place in the area to target fish in calmer conditions (estuary etc), or maybe even some pure freshwater action further inland?

I think I will leave the 9 weight outfit at home and take a 5/6 weight rig instead. I just don't have the kit to target fish in the surf (stripping basket, larger saltwater specific flies etc. etc.), and I'm leaving on Friday, plus I'm on a toit budget (who isn't?).

Any information donations are much appreciated and are tax deductible .

There is a the ukuvongo lagoon. I have seen some fish come out there, being caught and spinning tackle.

please keep in mind that this was 15 years ago
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Going to Margate for a week. I know there is a thread on this already, but not much info there I'm afraid.

Anyone know if there is a place in the area to target fish in calmer conditions (estuary etc), or maybe even some pure freshwater action further inland?

I think I will leave the 9 weight outfit at home and take a 5/6 weight rig instead. I just don't have the kit to target fish in the surf (stripping basket, larger saltwater specific flies etc. etc.), and I'm leaving on Friday, plus I'm on a toit budget (who isn't?).

Any information donations are much appreciated and are tax deductible .
    I would say take your 9 weight, you can catch wave garrick from the beach, don't have to cast far even. Red crazy Charlies, pink crazy charlies and salty buggers will work a charm, also quite fun to stuff around in the gullies between Margate and Ramsgate. There is also a few tidal rivers and lagoons that produce from time to time, don't expect monsters though!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    I would say take your 9 weight, you can catch wave garrick from the beach, don't have to cast far even. Red crazy Charlies, pink crazy charlies and salty buggers will work a charm, also quite fun to stuff around in the gullies between Margate and Ramsgate. There is also a few tidal rivers and lagoons that produce from time to time, don't expect monsters though!
    Perfectly summed up.

As for a stripping basket, I'd definitely recommend getting one. Your best option is a shopping basket with a few cable ties and a bungee cord to attach it to your waist. Without one your line will be washed around by the surf. Annoying on the beach, but if you're fishing gullies this can see the end of your line as it get stuck around mussles, under rocks, etc.

Good luck!
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    Perfectly summed up.

As for a stripping basket, I'd definitely recommend getting one. Your best option is a shopping basket with a few cable ties and a bungee cord to attach it to your waist. Without one your line will be washed around by the surf. Annoying on the beach, but if you're fishing gullies this can see the end of your line as it get stuck around mussles, under rocks, etc.

Good luck!
    Where do I get a shopping basket now? I'm leaving in about 14 hours? Where do you normally steal yours?

Also, are there any shops in the area where I can buy a couple of flies?
    Last edited by BenzoV; 15-03-12 at 04:26 PM.

Plastic land sells them or you can go to the spar of pick and pay in Margate and ask the manager if he has one with broken handles...I have often done this.
    Otherwise, accidentally forget to unpack your shopping

Gremlins in Margate has flies

Try the Mpenjati estuary (About 20ks south) and the lagoon at Southbroom (10 k's south). There are usually some small kingies around / the odd Cob / Snapper. Easier from a boat / float tube, but possible from the shore.
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    Last question. What will your go to sizes be for these patterns?

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Not massive. I'd say a 1, or 1/0 for the size fish you'd most likely encounter. Try a few woolly buggers in the gullies too (black or purple works for me). You get some good sport on them!

Blog Entries

Keep it small, 2, 1 and 1/0, If you see something bigger then you can maybe size up, sometimes if you are lucky you will get a few Shad that come in closer

Just a quick report back (not much).

As per recommendations, I did take the 9 weight. But I probably would have done better with just the 5/6.

1st try in the salt. Surf at Manaba beach.

9 weight, no stripping basked, home tied white and pink, CDC Crazy Charlies.

Got two small fish on the line with my very first two casts, but lost both. After this, nothing. I think I must have happened on a small shoal moving through...??

After this I moved over to the lagoon at Margate.

9 weight, #6 white salty buggers

Not bad actually. This could be fun on really light tackle. Most caught were a small fish that I'm not familiar with, then a couple of small moonies, and then something that looked to me like a small Trevally of sorts (biggest fishy of the evening). I was still on the 9 weight at this stage, so the only thrill really was getting these fish on the line. There are definitely bigger fish in the lagoon, but I ran out of time. A 3# or lighter will actually be great fun for someone going there, but who is not really interested in going for the big fish in the surf.

Next try:

Vungu river above the waterfall.

5 weight, home tied hopper pattern.

I heard in one of the shops that there are bass here, so I made the trip, but quickly left as casting from the bank is nearly impossible, plus there were a few dodge characters around and I was alone.

Next:

Rocks at Uvongo (across the lagoon from the beach area).

5 weight, Salty bugger, Gotcha fly

Caught nothing, but this looks promising. Saw a bigger moonie chase my fly, but missed it. Had a few nibbles in the lagoon from puffer fish, but still nothing on the sand . Easy casting off the rocks with no real need for a stripping basket, although it could come in handy. I met a ffisher as I was leaving who says that he often fishes there and regularly get fish on a small minnow imitation.

Next:

Manaba beach again

This time with make shift stripping basket (aka a crate)

Crate no good. fishing no good.

Just a note on the shopping basket/stripping basket. I almost made a day out of it, trying to find one. I spoke to managers at Spar, P&P, Shoprite, various small shops. No-one wanted to give me one. Either they use them themselves (smaller shops), or they say they send them back to the factory (the broken ones that is). The manager at Spar actually brought me an old one from his home the next day, which was very kind of him, but sadly I never got to use it.
    The lady at the craft shop in Manaba was willing to sell me one of theirs, but for R85, which I thought was crazy.

On flies: I picked up a few flies at Gremlins, but best to bring your own. And don't even think about getting fly tying materials in the immediate area to tie your own flies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast