Thread: Dugong lodge vilancoulos

Default Dugong lodge vilancoulos

Hi guys

I'm going up here in a month and was wondering what the shore fishing possibilities are? Any information would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks
    Alistair

Alistair, I can't speak directly to Vilanculos itself, but I recently fished about 140km north of Vilanculos and travel through to get there. My impression is that the coast line is gently sloping sand for miles and is netted pretty extensively. Maybe south of V is different, but i reckon your best bet is offshore!

Hi Alistair,
    I was there over december a few years ago. It was a wonderful place and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
    Wayne was the manager and did a fantastic job not only in the food and beverage dept but with the fishing advice too .
    The lodge is in a marine sanctuary so no fishing is allowed at the lodge however a short walk of approx <1km to the right ( as you stand on the deck looking out on the lagoon) you will see a buoy , where you can start fishing.
    When you go for a walk, keep an eye on the tides as it water comes in pretty quick.
    I tried soft plastics, lures and fly too but the locals were netting. I would recommend getting a charter from the lodge and you can troll some lures while on your way to some more productive fly waters.
    We caught squat but did have 2 on-offs on the troll on rapala magnums. There is definately potential for some fly fun but you will have to boat to these locations. We went to shell/pansy island for a picnic lunch and set a spread on the way there, you can fish on the lagoon or ocean side from the beach and depending on the wind , I would def try a fly unfortunately while we were there the wind on the sea side was really pumping so I did not try.
    There was plenty of baitfish and bird activity in the area as well as crabs on the beach.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspi...7626749968810/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspi...7626749941344/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspi...7626625280559/

a few links of photos, whilst perhaps not the best for fishing setup, it will give you an idea of the area and walks we took and where i prospected for some fush.

Thanks for the advice. We have access to a boat up there so will be doing most of the fishing off shore. Was just hoping for some more options. Thanks again