Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Took them a while...

Default Took them a while...

..but the americans might just finally be getting it.

Click here to go to an article about 10ft rods that sums it up quite nicely.

Also a great message in the article - don't always do something the way everyone tells you that you should be doing it. Suggestions from other anglers are a good place to start (not something to aim to end at), and find your own way from there.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Went nymphing on a small stream with 10'5" rod once... Such an unbelievable difference on the open water.

Until I got to the over grown section where I put the butt section in my bag and the reel in my pocket.

Have had plans to get a rod made where you can change the handle between bottom two sections ever since. Any takers amongst the rod makers out there - sure it must have been done!

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    Have had plans to get a rod made where you can change the handle between bottom two sections ever since. Any takers amongst the rod makers out there - sure it must have been done!
    Plenty of times, and it dates back a long way too ... doing that to one of the 11' 2-weights I have here.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Did one exactly like this for Gary Glenn-Young. Works like a charm.

Right Mario. I'm back in 2013. We'll chat seriously then. Can it be done in glass?

Right Mario. I'm back in 2013. We'll chat seriously then. Can it be done in glass?
    Easily mate ... F2??
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I dunno about 10 ft rods. The swing weight is a b!tch. That extra foot makes a #5 feel like a #6 and a #7 feel like a #8. I understand about the extra reach and supposed mending advantages, but I haven't found a 10ft rod that I'm happy fishing with (yet).
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    I dunno about 10 ft rods. The swing weight is a b!tch. That extra foot makes a #5 feel like a #6 and a #7 feel like a #8. I understand about the extra reach and supposed mending advantages, but I haven't found a 10ft rod that I'm happy fishing with (yet).
    ESN in a #2 is a BEAUT!!!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Easily mate ... F2??
    Hmmm... can we get an F2 blank that long... sounds sexy!
    Or one of those Japanese (?) blanks that you once told me about...

Hmmm... can we get an F2 blank that long... sounds sexy!
    Or one of those Japanese (?) blanks that you once told me about...
    The glass thing bring a new set of problems ... very few glass blanks are longer than 7'6 ... and with reason. Much like bamboo, when it gets too long, it gets quite floppy (and "heavy").

F2 does not come that long, no, very few glass blanks do. I have some ideas about extending the glass, but it's a bit extreme. Will mail you over the weekend.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast