Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SAGE One replaces the SAGE TCR/TCX ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Gary, have you cast or purchased a 10ft 5wt/6wt Sage ONE.. I'm currently considering building up a ONE or VXP in a 10ft 5wt.. I see your point with the 6wt while fishing from the boat, however I'm still tempted to go with the 5wt..
    Ryan - I am likely to get a10ft 6wt ONE, or Hardy Zenith in a little while - still undecided. I feel a 10ft 6wt has a similar feel to a 9ft 5wt - the 10ft 5wt's tend to be a little soft.
    Thinking back, when rod technology improved, people went from fishing heaver wt rods to lighter wt rods, since they were just as capable (so where a 9ft 6wt was "normal", this became 9ft 5wt with newer techonology rods).
    Then we went longer for the advantages it offered in the new technology rods (so we went to 10ft 5wt newer technology rods) - however these had more weight hanging out the end than the 9ft rods (and the 6wt versions even more so), and were softer than the crisp, newer technology 9ft 5wts.
    Now, with the NEWEST technology, the weight has ben reduced and the rods are now crisper, thus a 10ft 5wt is as light as the 9ft 5wt of old. BUT a 6wt rod will always be more capable and since the NEWEST 10ft 6wt rods are light & responsive, why not use one, when you are used to a newer 10ft 5wt.
    Just my opinion. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I fished and cast a Sage One 10foot #7 over the last couple of weeks in Norway. This rod belongs to a friend of mine
    This rod was lined with the correct line weight according to the rod weight, but we both felt that the rod was "under lined"
    I would fish the 10ft 7wt ONE with a Sci Anglers GPX - which is at the top end of the line weight for a 7wt, rather than a "normal" 7wt line.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Gary, you should try the Sage 99 4wt. It works like a 6wt in the lower half, and a 3wt in the top half. Brilliant rod. For stillwaters, I overline it with 6wt line. For yellowfish, it has the tip sensitivity of a much lighter rod, as well as the fighting power of a much heavier rod.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not going to go 3 inches shorter with older technology & fish a substantially overlined 4wt.
    Last edited by GGY; 03-07-12 at 12:44 PM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Ya, I hear you, but the thing is, for long casting, which has the effect of loading the rod lower down, it doesn't behave like an overlined rod. It genuinely seems to work very well. But it's a very misunderstood rod anyway, it really has to be experienced to believe.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Shot for the thoughts Gary.. I will consider it
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Ryan - I am likely to get a10ft 6wt ONE, or Hardy Zenith in a little while - still undecided. I feel a 10ft 6wt has a similar feel to a 9ft 5wt - the 10ft 5wt's tend to be a little soft.
    Thinking back, when rod technology improved, people went from fishing heaver wt rods to lighter wt rods, since they were just as capable (so where a 9ft 6wt was "normal", this became 9ft 5wt with newer techonology rods).
    Then we went longer for the advantages it offered in the new technology rods (so we went to 10ft 5wt newer technology rods) - however these had more weight hanging out the end than the 9ft rods (and the 6wt versions even more so), and were softer than the crisp, newer technology 9ft 5wts.
    Now, with the NEWEST technology, the weight has ben reduced and the rods are now crisper, thus a 10ft 5wt is as light as the 9ft 5wt of old. BUT a 6wt rod will always be more capable and since the NEWEST 10ft 6wt rods are light & responsive, why not use one, when you are used to a newer 10ft 5wt.
    Just my opinion. YMMV.
    Just an update. I popped into Upstream after Xmas to get some Dohiku's and to see if they still had the second hand Sage Z-Axis 10ft 6wt that was in their October 2012 newsletter for R3k. I figured if it was still there, I should buy it, else it was not meant to be and I should keep looking for a newer model - like the ONE/Zenith.

I had been in email communication with George Anderson of Yellowstone Angler - very nice guy, who had suggested that while the Zenith is better than the ONE in line weights up to 5wt, the ONE is lighter and has a noticably lighter swing weight (in-hand "feel") than the Zenith in the bigger rods, such as the 6wt, especially in the 10ft version.

As it turns out, the Z-Axis was sold (who bought it???), so I was out of luck...until John offered me a Sage ONE 10ft 6wt blank at a price I could hardy believe, let alone refuse. Thanks John!

Blank is currently with Mario Geldenhuys (http://www.customflyrods.co.za/) being built up to my specifications - keeping it as close to Sage ONE factory look, with some subtle changes/ommissions & improvements, which is why one builts a custom rod in the first place. Looking forward to getting the rod in my hands around Easter, which will be in time to use it at 2013 Nationals in Maclear.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Just an update. I popped into Upstream after Xmas to get some Dohiku's and to see if they still had the second hand Sage Z-Axis 10ft 6wt that was in their October 2012 newsletter for R3k. I figured if it was still there, I should buy it, else it was not meant to be and I should keep looking for a newer model - like the ONE/Zenith.

I had been in email communication with George Anderson of Yellowstone Angler - very nice guy, who had suggested that while the Zenith is better than the ONE in line weights up to 5wt, the ONE is lighter and has a noticably lighter swing weight (in-hand "feel") than the Zenith in the bigger rods, such as the 6wt, especially in the 10ft version.

As it turns out, the Z-Axis was sold (who bought it???), so I was out of luck...until John offered me a Sage ONE 10ft 6wt blank at a price I could hardy believe, let alone refuse. Thanks John!

Blank is currently with Mario Geldenhuys (http://www.customflyrods.co.za/) being built up to my specifications - keeping it as close to Sage ONE factory look, with some subtle changes/ommissions & improvements, which is why one builts a custom rod in the first place. Looking forward to getting the rod in my hands around Easter, which will be in time to use it at 2013 Nationals in Maclear.
    Let's hope for 23 Feb - will be up there for Logan's TSD SA Champs - let's hope the components arrive well before then.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345