Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: the perfect dry rod

Default the perfect dry rod

i'm looking for a dry rod in 3wt and from 8ft6 to 9ft range . does anyone have an idea on what i should go for ? i found the TFO finesse and it looks like the business .

fallen inlove with my 10ft 3 weight stealth infinty as an dry fly rig!! insane
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

In my eyes, the finesse is the way to go.

Nick
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

i'm getting another infinity in the next week or so still 10ft 3wt , i've been told to stick between 8ft6 and 9ft

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    i'm looking for a dry rod in 3wt and from 8ft6 to 9ft range . does anyone have an idea on what i should go for ? .
    Go for a dry rod!!
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

i'm looking for a dry rod in 3wt and from 8ft6 to 9ft range . does anyone have an idea on what i should go for ? i found the TFO finesse and it looks like the business .
    I personally find the TFO Finesse too soft. But then again, my dry fly rod is a 9ft 3wt Z-Axis.
    If you want a softer rod, have a look @ the Stealth Deep Reds - either the 8ft 4inch 3wt or the more capable 8ft 8inch 3wt.
    Else the Stealth Magnum 8ft 6inch 3wt is a great all-round rod. I have one as backup to my Z-Axis and this is the rod that I would pack into my luggage, should I think on a business trip I'd have a possible chance to fish a stream.
    Last edited by GGY; 02-04-12 at 08:47 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

The Scott G 8'8" is magic for dry flies. Its replacement is the G2 8'4" 4pc 3wt, but a little on the pricey side - $725.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I personally find the TFO Finesse too soft. But then again, my dry fly rod is a 9ft 3wt Z-Axis.
    If you want a softer rod, have a look @ the Stealth Deep Reds - either the 8ft 4inch 3wt or the more capable 8ft 8inch 3wt.
    Else the Stealth Magnum 8ft 6inch 3wt is a great all-round rod. I have one as backup to my Z-Axis and this is the rod that I would pack into my luggage, should I think on a business trip I'd have a possible chance to fish a stream.
    Be careful, Gary obviously has a taste for stiff rods if he calls the finesse too soft. Remember that the info you get here is mostly subjective.

For objective advise, try them out.
    Regards
    Craig

I also have the sage 9 foot 3 z axis and honestly this rod still astounds me with how versatile it is and how well it fishes dries, honestly a beaut of a rod......

A lot of guys rate the TFO Finnesse, personnally, I don't know what they see in it, as my opinion, is that it is too floppy to be a perfect dry fly rod. For dry fly, you need a rod with a tip that doesn't wobble after the cast, and the Finness does just that unfortunatly. The one's that I have fished with seem to struggle with tracking...they just don't cast straight.If you don't mind a bit of tip wobble, then fine. I quite like a soft rod for dry fly fishing, but there are times when I prefer a medium rod, all depending on the conditions I also love the Z-Axis 3wt 9ft, and would be my all round dry fly rod of choice. On the softer side, quite enjoy the ZXL 2wt.
    As Craig says, these are opinions, so don't take them too seriously.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast