Thread: Do I have the right to know?

Thumbs down Do I have the right to know?

Why was my post w.r.t. the upcoming "Groenkloof yellowfish weekend" event deleted without me even being notified?
    Save our Yellows!

Please PM me if other readers are not to know any reasons...
    Save our Yellows!

Did you check the forum rules wrt 'advertizing'?
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

No idea why but john's post about the same venue a couple of days ago was deleted too. Maybe do a search for groenkloof and see what comes up, might be interesting...
    Check your knots!

Nothing to do with advertising. We have advertised literally every event organised on the lower vaal since 2006 with no complaints at all. This piece of water seems to be for the "eletist Sage and Orvis club" who can afford to pay R3500 per person per weekend for guided tours on government owned water, while the property owner who grants access to the water gets zilch! Just another money making racket by people who do not even live in the area!
    Save our Yellows!

Check this post - same venue ADVERTISED - different price! I rest my case...
    Save our Yellows!

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    Check this post - same venue ADVERTISED - different price! I rest my case...
    Save your money and go fish Eendekuil for the weekend. It's MUCH closer
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    Nothing to do with advertising. We have advertised literally every event organised on the lower vaal since 2006 with no complaints at all. This piece of water seems to be for the "eletist Sage and Orvis club" who can afford to pay R3500 per person per weekend for guided tours on government owned water, while the property owner who grants access to the water gets zilch! Just another money making racket by people who do not even live in the area!
    Hi Carl and all other interested parties.

For the last 3 years, I was active on Groenkloof, and would just like to clear a few points. I am not interested in a public debate on this, so here is some facts.

1. I was looking for a place to set up a camp- and develop a fishery 3 years ago, and the farmer in question got wind of this through a casual conversation with my father, and brother, who lives and farms in the area. ( not that i think it is at all relevant, but hope that the fact that my direct family live, own property and directly contribute to the community in that area, would have some influence in in your forgiveness in me not being local) The poor farmer in question then approached me, and suggested that I consider his farm. After a lot of discussion we agreed on the principles I would do that. ONE OF THESE IS THAT THERE WILL BE AN AGREED ROD FEE PER PERSON PER DAY PAYABLE TO HIM!!!!!!

2. When I arrived at Groenkloof, there was nothing, and I had to take all the risk in establishing a camp there. It was marred with problems and losses. My first camp was washed away by floods, and the second trampled by the farmers cattle. And although I think most people would of given up at this point, I still persevered. In the winter while the locals was sniffing glue or doing what they do, freezing my balls off, I was there to rebuild, at great financial expense. DURING ALL THIS TIME THE FARMER COLLECTED HIS ROD FEES WHEN I HAD GROUPS THERE!

3. During my time there I fished the waters extensively, and through running groups there over the last 3 years, come to know that stretch of river better than any "LOCAL" . Having had bigger and smaller groups there, I am probably the only person that appreciates the impact, fishing pressure has on that stretch of water. I can irrevocably claim that the impact 40 or even 20 people fishing that water in one group is detrimental to the health of the fishery. I , together with Cassie (the farmers partner ) are driving the process of not just getting the yellow fish working group involved, but also a vision to establish a conservancy, witch would not just include the Groenkloof stretch, but also farms upstream and downstream! FUNNY THAT NONE OF THE "LOCALS" HAVE THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE!

my business model is adapted to concider all of the above. Therefore i opt to do smaller groups, and after a busy September to December, I am actually planning to go as far as building in "resting times" for the fishery where no one will fish this stretch. We found that even yhe impact of continual fishing pressure, even if in small groups have a negative effect on the fishery.

4. OH - before I forget. I charged R3500 for 4 nights per person. ( this might go up by 10% this season ) That avarage out on R875 per day. For this my clients get the following:

*Pitched tent per person, with a bed and a mattress.
    *3 well prepared meals per day on white crockery and real knives and forks, oh, and energade.
    * All these meals is prepared in a reasonably well equipped kitchen, and served in a lapa style dining room. My blood sweat and money ensured that this infrastructure stands! That there is gas in the bottles to keep the fridge,freezer and stove going. The chairs and the wood at the firepit is not sponsered, I pay for it.
    *After dinner the clients can go for a nice dump, and flush the toilet. Then get in a hot shower before returning to the pub for a "loopdop" or retiring to their tent. Now, all these things did not just grow there?
    *I also share the knowledge gained over years of fly fishing, in particular on this stretch of water with my clients. And looking at my costing spreadsheet, I attach no value to this.I share what I know just to ensure that my clients have the best possible experience I can offer them.
    * I can actually go on and on , but I am sure that you get my drift!

SO - how did we get to this point you may ask? The farmer phoned me a few weeks ago and asked if I would mind if he invites a few friends to visit the camp. Naturally I agreed. It came as a hell of a surpassed to read an ad on fly talk inviting 40 people to Groenkloof. I immediately phoned the farmer, and he assured me he did not agree to this! At this point I am still trying to understand exactly what went wrong, and were.

I really hope that this situation is not going to be the end of a vision to establish a well managed low impact fly fishery, and will do all in my power to ensure that the integrity of the fishery is maintained. ONLY TIME WILL TELL IT SEEMS.

So there you have it?

Regards
    Etienne

Thanks for clearing up Etienne! It would have been nice to at least get notified that the post would be deleted, together with an explanation.
    I was not involved in the arrangements at all and after you spoke to Etienne Benade yesterday, he agreed to cut the head count down to 15. (I'm not even attending due to work commitments). I was merely asked to put out the word, which I did.
    Next order of business:
    If you are trying to get the YWG involved, why then have none of the NCYWG (Northern Cape Yellowfish Working Group) members been contacted in this regard? We would gladly assist in establishing another conservancy. The neighbouring farm to the North, Stonehill, has been a proclaimed conservancy with all the signs erected by NCYWG and 3 Provinces Fly Fishing Club almost a decade ago - same goes for the 13km stretch of river in the reserve at Protea Hotel Christiana. We also have a fish tagging programme where catches in the conservancies are tagged and released for telemety studies.
    Anyway, thanks again for clearing the air - it would have been the right thing to do from the start and all this unneccessary bull could have been avoided!
    Tight lines!
    Save our Yellows!

Thank you Carl

If I kenw about this from the start it would have been.

Etienne Benade actually printed the boards that I put on the gate of Groenkloof, and the 2 farms upstream and downstream.

Plus - Idid try to clear the air by talking to the farmer, Kobus and Etienne. I also sent you a PM yesterday asking to talk to Etienne B, as I explained my position to him in detail.

But anyway, relieved that you understand, and hope that this can serve of an excample for all forum members to make sur of their facts before posting on a public forum. Hope to see you on the water soon, and may your net smell of fish after every trip to the river!

Regards
    Etienne