Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh Pursad View Post
    I tied a bimini onto the 3lb tippet with loose wraps to create a spring effect. This worked like a charm and the biggest fish I landed that evening was about 2kgs.
    Hey Sudesh, hope you are well my friend

The spring effect - yes a good one I hadn't considered.

For the rest, IMHO, the dominant issue by far is abrasion resistance rather than breaking strain or knots for that matter. So quality tippet material and a carefully made triple surgeons knot which is close to full strength (and doubling the thinner line even closer) is probably sufficient unless one is chasing records which I don't. All the other stuff in the leader adds time and clutter and wind resistance and opportunities to make tangles an even bigger nightmare As I said, IMHO

BTW I did get an unexpected 82cm yellowtail kingfish on 4lb tippet a few years ago, lucky it was open water over a sand bottom The fish needed to be despatched by the end of it - they go well on the braai anyway.
    The highest form of existence is play.

there's a couple of videos on Youtube that explaines it nicely
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post

For the rest, IMHO, the dominant issue by far is abrasion resistance rather than breaking strain or knots for that matter. So quality tippet material and a carefully made triple surgeons knot which is close to full strength (and doubling the thinner line even closer) is probably sufficient unless one is chasing records which I don't.
    Hello William...

Doing great thanks and hope you are too. I do agree that the abrasion resistance is critical, coupled with good quality tippet. A personal guideline I sub-consciously use to determine whether I need a Bimini or not, is that I try to keep my weakest point on my 9wt at around 15lb, and on my 12wt at around 20lb when targeting larger fish. I also know that the Surgeon's Loop reduces the breaking strain to about 80%.

Depending what I am targeting of course, this applied practically means that if I am using 15lb class tippet on my 9wt (or 12wt), I will tie Bimini's in the class tippet to maintain the 15lb breaking strain of the line. If I am using straight 20lb on my 9wt, or 25lb on my 12wt, then I don't bother too much with Bimini's. (Backing is at 30lb) My general rule is that if I am targeting big fish on the 12wt, then I will use Bimini's - just gives me a greater sense of confidence as I have a pretty good idea how much pressure to apply. These tippets are all pre-tied, so I don't fumble when the I get the severe fish fever .

Case in Point is this fish which you have probably seen already. Was fishing a straight 12 foot 30lb tippet with a Surgeon's Loop attached directly onto fly line, on a 12wt outfit.[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XDt7FJpriA&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Yellowtail on the braai has me salivating . An awesome fish on 4lb line.

Take care
    Sudesh
    Last edited by Sudesh Pursad; 10-04-12 at 12:31 PM.

Good stuff Sudesh - thanks for sharing your thinking on the approach to different weights - makes a lot of sense

BTW the reported % strength of surgeons knots I could find with a bit of googling ranged from 73% to 100% I am busy looking into this with a bit more in-depth research and testing.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12