Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fatal Shark Attack

Booger Rose Banned User

There are a lot of fish at the moment in the bay - big fish activity means the sharks are there to eat. I fished Macs yesterday and got a beast of a shad and kabeljou within ten minutes. Lots of baitfish around and dirty pockets of water inbetween - in my book perfect shark water and the surfers must know this. When you use the water, know the water. Yesterday I decided not to wade out becaese the water just did not feel right, there was no way I would wade knee-deep in.

Personally I don't think chumming is the culprit this time!

seems that a fellow surfer said they spotted 6 sharks in the vicinity yesterday.....who in there right mind enters the water after seeing this?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Very good friends of mine, their son was best buddies with the victim.

He said, that a while they were surfing, there where plenty of dolphins all around them, "shielding" them.

He said, to the rest, something does not feel right and decided to get out.

Minutes later this happened.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

clever boy......dolphins are notorious for protecting humans like this...another sign not to be in the water
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    clever boy......dolphins are notorious for protecting humans like this...another sign not to be in the water
    When there's dolphins around, there's usually a shark around too? (So I've heard)
    When fishing off Protea Banks some time back, we saw some dolphins. My boet-in-law wanted to jump into the water to swim close to them. The skipper told him no ways, when there's dolphins, there's normally a shark or two also around.
    Dunno...this is just what the skipper said.

I didn't jump into the water....

I think where there is dolphin there is food. So it could go either way. i know dolphin will scare away sharks(even kill if protecting young) if the shark is getting to close to them.
    Noted fly fishermen Lefty Kreh was once asked by a non-fisherman whats the sense was of catching fish just to let it go. He responded, “Do you burn your golf balls after a game?”

Booger Rose Banned User

Old wifes tale - dolphins do not protect humans against sharks. They are predators, if there is food they hunt, normally the same food as sharks! Please do not jump into sharky waters to swim with dolphins because you believe they will protect you!

Sad about attack - condolences to family!

I think, for a Great White, a dolphin is food

Quote Originally Posted by gripit View Post
    I think where there is dolphin there is food. So it could go either way. i know dolphin will scare away sharks(even kill if protecting young) if the shark is getting to close to them.
    Last edited by firephish; 20-04-12 at 01:49 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Isn't False bay renowned for shark attacks?
    Personally I dont think that chumming has anything to do with it, its not like they are chumming in the surf, right?
    Precisely, there's just as much controversy about baited shark dives, I did one in Jan this year, and once you've been in water filled with bits of fish and sardine oil with tiger sharks (which are much more opportunistic than great whites) and 40 odd black tips, and you see how these sharks react towards you in the water, you'll realise that the chumming had absolutely nothing to do with it. Had they been baiting the water with seal meat and Mammal blood ..then yes..
    Last edited by OllieOwen; 20-04-12 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gripit View Post
    My question to you is with all the chumming in the area are we just not moving the sharks closer to the Humans. See any predator has a hunting area and by us "calling the Shark" out of his normal area. Then we are surprise when he does not swim all the way home again and start looking for food close by ? Either way my fear is that at the end of the day Sharks are going to end up paying the big price. As fear make people do strange things.
    Their hunting area is from backline to the shore, and they are constantly in there, especially at high tide.

We have hooked numerous great whites in this area, and one particular one that toxic hooked, swam right into the sloep in the shorebreak at macassar (ie where it goes from angle to thigh deep in a footstep or two). We just noticed the slack line, Kevin reeled it in till it went tight in the sloep, he struck, and this thing went for the horizon and snapped him straight away. (disclaimer: they are hooked by mistake as it is illegal to catch great whites and you can't help it if they eat the bait- just watch as they jump and snap you off).

The point is, that we are not drawing them closer to humans - the place in the sea where humans play, is the shark's natural area to prey and has always been cos that's where the fish are and the seals hunt.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast