Thread: synthetic materials for fly tying

Default synthetic materials for fly tying

Perhaps the dealers out there, or those of you in the know, can inform us about some of the new materials that are on the market, or perhaps share an interesting discovery you made down at the local haberdashery. I for one am pretty out of touch with a lot of the new materials and I think this will be a great way of picking up some of the latest tips.

Chris,

You may want to check out David Klausmeyer's latest book: "Unnaturals". From what I hear it's all about tying flies with synthetic materials. You can get it from Netbooks.

The Purists are gonna have a fit!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Chris,

You may want to check out David Klausmeyer's latest book: "Unnaturals". From what I hear it's all about tying flies with synthetic materials. You can get it from Netbooks.

The Purists are gonna have a fit!
    hehe, thanks Grant, will do

Grant

I did

Hi I came across this stuff that is used to make these modern day disposable dusters (the type your missus uses to clean the house) *starts running* - the fibres are brilliantly white and very thin. anyone seen this? I tied a small crazy charley with this stuff and it looks OK. Only caught a maasbanker and a red-eye with it so far. It seems to absorb a lot of water and creates a very lively action underwater - almost like silk fibres.

I'm still a novice at fly-tying, but if I look at most of the synthetic materials for fly tying, its got pro's and cons to them.Pro's: quantity and quality is sometimes better.More diversity and that gives you more room for creations.But then the there are still the the masters whom prefer the genuine thing.And that's why Fly fishing is so interesting to me, there is something for everyone.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~